PatrickMead

Friday, May 05, 2006

Catching the Wave

Things are moving fast in our lives and this blog will be the place for people to read about it. Here are some recent highlights.

1. Duncan has begun training with the Marines. Its all simple stuff right now as he isn't even officially in the Delayed Entry Program, but he loves it. People all over the nation are writing letters commending him on his morality, leadership, and character. The letters will go into his file so that he can secure a place in NROTC or the Platoon Leader Program (MECAP). He is psyched, pumped, fit, and raring to go.

2. At Rochester Church over the last week we had a Kevinathon to raise money in memory of one of our own little boys who died several years ago. His parents run our nationally recognized charity, Gods Helping Hands, that feeds and clothes 400-500 people a month. We also had a 4+ mile march for the Global Night Commute on behalf of invisiblechildren.com. Over three hundred people marched. It made the newspapers and TV.

3. Speaking of which -- did anyone else see the praise heaped on the Church of Christ during the PGA tour event on TV last Sunday? They mentioned Richland Hills and the church several times in a ten minute story on the charity work done by our tribe. What a pleasant surprise!

4. I got a call from an elder at a nearby CoC last Wednesday night. He is a law enforcement officer and a graduate of the FBI National Academy. The FBINAA was having their annual luncheon across the Detroit River in Windsor, Canada on Friday... and they just realized they didn't have a speaker. Panic had set in. I agreed to change my Friday schedule and go into Ontario and I'm glad I did. There were about 35 (or, preacher count, 76) officers from various US and Canadian law enforcement agencies present. I met good men and women and assured them of our prayers and God's appreciation for their service. Remember to pray for all who carry a badge or warrant card on behalf of us.

5. This week I will travel to the tiny Western Michigan town of Hastings, MI to give a three day seminar on Christian Evidences. I am often asked why I go to smaller churches instead of bigger venues such as Pepperdine. My answer is -- not everybody will go to the smaller places. I will because I grew up in them. They matter to me. I am happy to do my part for them while my dear friends take the Word to the larger gatherings.

6. I gave a keynote address to the Michigan Christian Convention two weeks ago. I got some hate mail for fellowshipping and loving my brothers in the Independent Christian Church but I'm not complaining. I have not yet resisted unto blood.

God bless all of you. Stay tuned here for personal, political, and theological bits and pieces. Go to tentpegs.blogspot.com for columns on family life, mental health, and child rearing.

5 Comments:

  • At 5/05/2006 09:33:00 PM , Blogger Jeff said...

    Looking forward to your thoughts here, Patrick.

    I would love to have you do your Christian Evidences Seminar for us here in Ashland. It would probably have to be after we move into our new building (we're breaking ground this Sunday). Can you send me some info?

    My e-mail address is jmslater13 @ msn.com

    Thanks,

    Jeff

     
  • At 5/06/2006 12:45:00 PM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

    Dee, thank you for your comments and prayers. I'd love to come down again. I will be at Jennings again in February. I am going to try to find a couple of other places to speak while I am down there.

    Jeff, I'll be in touch!

     
  • At 5/08/2006 10:40:00 AM , Blogger reJoyce said...

    Well, Pepperdine's loss is West Michigan's gain, eh?

    I'm hoping to make it to at least some of your Christian Evidences seminar in Hastings this week. I'm wondering about bringing my teens. Good for all age groups?

     
  • At 5/08/2006 11:19:00 AM , Blogger Kari said...

    Hi Patrick!
    I'd never met Duncan before February when the RC people were stranded and he helped some of us recruit. I'm excited for him and his military career! He's definitely in my prayers.
    And have fun in Hastings! My grandpa used to preach at a church there. I always remember loving it. :)

     
  • At 5/08/2006 12:44:00 PM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

    Yes, all age groups will have fun with it. I use (this is a shock) quite a bit of humor in these presentations.

    And thanks for the kind words about Dunk, Kari. It means a lot.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home