PatrickMead

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The New Circuit Riders...

I don't hear directly from the Lord in any vocal sense nor do I claim to be a prophet or the son of a prophet. Remember that as I share with you a vision that has been laying claim to my heart and robbing me of sleep for some time now and which I am acting on at last.

How do we get the message of Jesus outside of church walls? [and I am using "church" in its modern day sense of buildings, structures, and programs. I'm aware that isn't its meaning in Scripture so put the keyboards down...] I am calling for a new breed of circuit riders. Let me give you two examples of these people who I am seeking in our congregation and who are stepping up to answer the call.

At our third service, called Mosaic [but which I call "church for people who don't like church"] we have some of the tattooed, pierced, and spiked sitting together on one or two rows near the back. They are delightful people who love the Lord -- and whom I love -- but they don't fit in with the rest of the group. While Mosaic is filled with all kinds of people, there aren't many of "their people" who would walk into a large church building with them. My heart aches for those like these brothers and sisters who love Jesus but who will always feel alone in our churches. So I decided it was time to do something about that. I went to each of our "scruffy" brethren [their name for themselves, not mine!] and told them "I have a mission for you; a calling. We need to talk very soon." And we did.

With the full blessing of this church, each of these, male and female, are being called into ministry. We are wanting them to find ways to reach their friends and we are willing to train and mentor them. They have taken the name "The Scruffy Church" to describe themselves as they speak of Jesus to their friends during jam sessions or at work or at coffeehouses. They still meet with us on Sunday mornings -- their choice -- but they are free to be creative in spreading the good news about our Messiah and they are assured of our love and blessing as they do so. They are new traveling minstrels, wandering friars, a new form of religious order, new circuit riders.

There's also a group in our congregation who understand and appreciate the importance of prayer. Over the years they have experienced great frustration in trying to get the rest of the church to see and know what they see and know. They've tried setting up prayer groups, getting in a speaker on prayer, etc. but it has never "hit" as they wished it would. Rather than let them stew and die in disappointment I felt called to go to them and ask them to become a new religious order, a People of Prayer. Their job would be to fulfill their calling outside of the church's walls. Briefly -- and I'm leaving out a great deal -- they would be called upon to meet together and pray and then to separate and enter the world as prayer warriors, spreading the good news of Jesus one prayer at a time. They would enter a mall with the intention of praying for people and situations they see there [not confronting people or praying audibly with hands outstretched. This isn't for show]. If given the opportunity, they would ask someone if they could pray for them. People almost never refuse a quiet, simple, short prayer of blessing or a prayer for healing and help. The People of Prayer would then gather and encourage each other with their stories, pray for more opportunities, and go out once again.

On Sundays, we intend our worship services to be broken into time and again with stories of how God is working in these new circuit riders' lives. As we see more talent and more calling in our members we will commission them and send them outside the church walls to fulfill their calling. And if those they reach will not come here? Start a church with them "out there" and multiply the faithful in any way possible.

Scary? Not really. What if Jerusalem had decided it was too risky to send out those who were called to ministry? What if they decided they needed to convert Jerusalem first, or sort out the Jerusalem congregation first? If they had thought that way there would still, in 2006, only be one congregation of the faithful worldwide.

Risky? Sure. But Jesus told us to pick up a cross and follow Him. A cross! Something tells me everything about Christianity is supposed to be risky. What new religious orders could we form; not in the old sense of rules and regulations but in a new sense of developing and sending our members to reach the lost, using their talents and passions? For example -- have you seen the Jesus Painter? What would happen if you sent out a dozen Jesus painters to use their gifts in your community to draw attention to, and foment interest in, Jesus?

I believe the called and commissioned are already among us. Loose them and let them go. While we will never convince all the religious consumerists in our congregations to do Kingdom work, many will see the exciting, life changing things going on around them and want to be a part of this new work. Let's risk it. To God be the glory.

8 Comments:

  • At 5/30/2006 09:10:00 AM , Blogger David U said...

    Amen......a big AMEN! God is alive and working amongst the good folks in Rochester. Praise God for his faithfulness!

    DU

     
  • At 5/30/2006 10:40:00 AM , Blogger Lee Hodges said...

    How refreshing! How "right on"! Keep us posted too!

     
  • At 5/30/2006 01:21:00 PM , Blogger Jim MacKenzie said...

    I love the engaging of the scruffy folk. As a church, we've left them alone for a long time, not knowing what to say or how to look at them. I love that you all are turning them loose! We ran across a billboard a few years back that went something like this: "Definitely not your Gramma's church: piercings and tattoos welcome"

    (also, sorry I missed you in MI last week, I had the travel problems from hell and missed half of the seminar. Another time.)

     
  • At 5/31/2006 08:55:00 AM , Blogger KentF said...

    God bless you and the church there Patrick! I dunno - I just scratch my head and wonder what Bible people read that suggests the NT church "example" is filled with folks that look-alike, think-alike and act-alike. If someone has a reference - please let me know.

     
  • At 5/31/2006 12:10:00 PM , Blogger Bill Williams said...

    As I read these lines I said out loud the thought that was racing around in my head. It is: What if we all tried?

    That's what you've done. You've just opened your heart and mind and tried to imagine that God can and will use the available resources to do what needs to be done. We've spent too much time limiting God by our small thinking and even smaller visions for ministry.

    This is outside-of-the-box thinking at its best. What if we all tried to come up with similar paradigm breaking initiatives for our little corners of the world?

    Thanks, Patrick, for the inspiration! Grace to you and yours, -bw

     
  • At 6/01/2006 07:28:00 PM , Blogger Mark said...

    Patrick,

    I've been feeling that same exact burden here at Trenton. Thanks for taking action and then sharing what you have done. It has helped me clarify what I need to do next. We too have some "scruffy" folks and some frustratred prayer warriors. I love them dearly, and in both cases, I believe their brand of spirituality is more vibrant and real than that of most life-long pew-sitters, including myself. My fear is that if we don't find a way to unleash their passion, we'll freeze them out. I love the comparison with the circuit-riders of old. I'm more convinced each day that we have to find ways to get "church" outside church walls. Unbelievers--even ones who would be open to the claims of the gospel--think that church is only for "church people." I'm aching to find ways to reach folks who will never, ever be "church people." I long for the day when I can see what "church" looks like when it's made up of a bunch of redeemed and restored non-church people. And when I see it, if they'll accept an old, still-trying-to-learn-to-be-authentic "church talker," that's the group I want to be part of.

     
  • At 6/06/2006 01:41:00 PM , Blogger believingthomas said...

    Now this circuit rider post made me cry. I heard a sermon a few years ago now on Unleashing the church by Jay Utley. He was at Richland Hills as a guest speaker. Its still there on their website. And that is exactly what you are describing. Recognizing when the Spirit is leading someone to use their abilities and encouraging and equiping them. Not telling them how it won't work. Not squashing the dream but helping it happen. Great stuff!

     
  • At 7/17/2006 03:51:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
    »

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home