PatrickMead

Friday, June 02, 2006

The Talent Show

Last Sunday morning one of the kids came up to me after my sermon and handed me a prayer request card and a sheet of paper he had been working on throughout the whole service. Nathan has a couple of disabilities and challenges, but he had done as good a job as he could on the folded papers he placed in my hand. I thanked him, hugged him, and went on, not knowing what I'd been given but appreciating it all the same. My wife came up to me a few minutes later and told me Nathan's mother had explained it to her. The papers were a handwritten invitation to his elementary school's talent day. Nathan, she said, knew I loved humor and he and a buddy -- also from our church -- were going to do a comedy routine.

I know what you're thinking. "An elementary school talent day? Why wasn't I invited, too?" Yes, yes, I know, the odds of finding talent in an elementary school talent show are roughly similar to those of finding vows of poverty and chastity among TV evangelists.

I moved some things around and went to the show. You might wonder why the senior minister for a church of 1200 or so, and one which is sending out new Orders of people (see last post) as well as moving to multi-site work would spend his time at an elementary school to watch a talent show. Isn't there something more important for him to do?

Uh.... no.

Some of the acts were predictably bad. Some lip synched to popular songs off CDs they'd brought from home. Two eleven year old white girls danced to an urban hip-hop tune, copying the moves they'd learned from MTV or BET including the crossed arms scowling bits. Others trilled their way -- Mariah Carey-like, if Mariah hadn't been feeling well recently -- through American Idol style pop tunes.

I missed one act, though. Evidently one of our young girls was supposed to dance to a tune with a couple of her friends but she was troubled by the words and movements and asked her parents if she could not do the act, but sing instead. She sang a Watershed song about her Lord instead of doing the dance. Wow. What a girl.

The show stopper was another one of our young girls. Amber had a backup band who did a "School of Rock" style version of Sweet Home Alabama. She was terrific and blew the room away.

And Nathan and Will came out and did their comedy bit. (Sample joke: "What did the alien say to the tabby cat? Take me to your litter") They came out in obnoxiously loud Hawaiian shirts with a Harpo Marx style horn and a tambourine (I know, I know. How did they get in my closet???) and told their jokes with an infectious joy. THEY found this stuff hilarious and, therefore, so did we.

Afterwards I found out that Nathan was so thrilled I had shown up that he kept telling everyone that his preacher was out there. When the show was done he came over to give me a high five and get his picture taken with me.

Yesterday, some people went to an NBA final game. Others went to five star restaurants. I hear tell that Las Vegas was quite busy yesterday, too. And a Tony Bennett concert in Chicago was sold out.

Losers! I got the best ticket in town. I got to see a young girl's faith in action, another girl shine with the talent and personality God gave her, and I got to laugh along with Nathan and Will. I can assure you -- no doubt -- that there was no ticket in town better than this one. And there was no work this minister could have done that day that could have been more important.

Kids? Moms and dads? Very, very well done. You raised good, sweet, and joyful kids. THAT is talent.

8 Comments:

  • At 6/02/2006 09:29:00 AM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

    Never thought of that! I'm not sure the parrots would have done well at the show, but who knows? Next time....

     
  • At 6/02/2006 09:38:00 AM , Blogger Jim MacKenzie said...

    Patrick, to me (and maybe this is just my thing) but I believe what you did yesterday was ministry. Not ministry to the popular people who are always with us (and in which the temptation lies to always be SEEN with them!), but ministry to the margins, to use Rick McKinley's phrase.

    Jesus would have had a blast. I can almost hear his laughter. Glad you had a good time yes, but Nathan's life is changed. May God be praised.

     
  • At 6/02/2006 11:26:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I saw this on my lunch hour. You're not supposed to make me tear up at work, Patrick!

     
  • At 6/02/2006 12:14:00 PM , Blogger David U said...

    Isn't there a verse that says something like "everywhere he went, he was doing good"? You know who the "he" was......and you are following in HIS foot-steps.

    A labor of love!
    DU

     
  • At 6/05/2006 09:46:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    the NBA is overrated anyway, but even if it wasn't, I'd still say you had the best ticket. thanks for sharing this.

     
  • At 6/06/2006 01:34:00 PM , Blogger believingthomas said...

    Great day. And I picked up a joke to tell my boys. thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 6/13/2006 04:06:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Patrick: "I am old enough and have worked with kids long enough to know that the most important memories children file away are the seemingly small things. Nathan may forget the jokes he shared, but he will never forget that his preacher came! And, what makes this social interaction so much more significant is that Nathan is autistic and reaches out only to people that he feels connected to. That speaks volumes about his preacher.
    Nathan's Grandmother

     
  • At 6/13/2006 08:22:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Patrick, I just read this entry tonight and want to thank you for
    sharing wonderful thoughts about a wonderful day in our children's lives!! It meant so much to us as well that you took time out of a busy schedule to make room for our kids to touch your life. I am forever thankful that Nathan is in our lives now too. He has taught us all how to truly live and has taught my children how to love better along the way!! Something all of us need a teacher for wouldn't you say!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home