PatrickMead

Monday, June 19, 2006

Is There Anything in Nebraska?

I am in York, Nebraska for the entire week. I NEVER go anywhere for a full week. Why did I agree to this? I'm not sure, but here I am. I am speaking only one hour a day, every evening from Sunday through Friday night, and then I will fly back to Detroit. When I told people I was going to Nebraska I got a lot of sympathetic looks. Nebraska? Is there anything thing other than corn there?

There certainly IS corn but there is also much more. York isn't a large or vibrant town (at least, I don't think so from what I've seen) but York College is doing well. The staff and faculty seems first rate, absolutely dedicated to Jesus, the scripture, and young people. Over a hundred of them work with four hundred or so students and, I must say, they are making a difference. This week is Soulquest with kids coming from Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa and... well, I'm sure some other places, too. There are hundreds of them here. Last night, at the opening session, the kids were alert, tuned in, and ready for a week given over to spiritual things.

Yes, there is something special going on in Nebraska.

I stay out of the way during the day. Part of it is that whole antisocial thing I've got going, but another reason is that this week's not about me. It's about drawing teens closer to Jesus via youth workers and volunteers who have come from all over to help them. Most of these kids come from tiny churches and will never have a youth minister. This is the only time they will get to be mentored, taught, loved, and prayed for by those who have answered the call to reach God's younger children. They are pouring their hearts out and teaching their hearts out... and it is making a difference now and forever.

When I get back to Detroit on Saturday night, I will be a better man because I saw what was happening in Nebraska. The next morning I will drive into Detroit where I will preach for the Wyoming Avenue Church, a large African American congregation. Their minister will go to Rochester to preach for me. This pulpit swap is the first part of a summer of interchanges and events designed to draw the races closer together on earth as we will be in heaven. Sunday evening one of the young adult small groups has asked if I could come speak to them. The next day, Monday, Duncan swears into the Corps (he is having his physical while I am writing this). That evening I have been asked to come over and pray for a member's mother. The next night I have been asked to meet with one of our missionary groups (Missional Orders, we call them). The following day is the first in our Emerging Artists Series at Rochester where we showcase the artistic talent that is among us.

A busy week, no doubt. However.... I fully expect to stop every so often in the bustle, lights, traffic, noise and rush of meto Detroit and think of what's going on in Nebraska. There is more than corn here. God is here, and He is busy.

4 Comments:

  • At 6/19/2006 02:54:00 PM , Blogger David U said...

    A lot of the people who are negative about Nebraska have never been there. I love Nebraska, and Iowa! BEAUTIFUL states! God is everywhere, is He not?

    DU

     
  • At 6/19/2006 06:50:00 PM , Blogger Bill Williams said...

    Nebraska Highlights:

    1. Warren Buffet (http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/)
    2. Nebraska Furniture Mart (http://www.nfm.com/)
    3. Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo (http://www.omahazoo.com/)
    4. Nebraska Cornhuskers (http://www.huskers.com/)
    5. Chimney Rock National Historic site (http://www.nebraskahistory.org/sites/rock/index.htm)

     
  • At 6/20/2006 12:36:00 PM , Blogger Jo said...

    I was born in Nebraska, and when people say there is nothing great about Nebraska I have to respectfully (and sometimes *ahem* not so respectfully) disagree. I've seen a lot of beauty there, and know many good people who live there. Not to mention it was a great place to spend my early childhood. When I think of the fields of corn, or sunflowers, it makes me happy. :)

     
  • At 6/21/2006 10:38:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OK, it's not exactly about Nebraska, but Heywood Banks has a song entitled "Interstate 80 Iowa." The lyrics are (and I am not making this up):

    Mississippi River
    Davenport
    Corn, corn, corn, corn
    Corn, corn, corn
    "whats that smell?"
    Corn, corn, corn
    Iowa City
    Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn
    "Look, a tree"
    Corn, corn, corn, Des Moines
    Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn
    "There's that smell again"
    Corn, corn, corn
    Council Bluffs, Missouri River

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home