PatrickMead

Monday, August 21, 2006

The Busy Weekend


After months of traveling and speaking everywhere from New Jersey to Phoenix, Ontario to Louisiana it was good to be home... but what a weekend! There was an elders' retreat, the arrival of students at Rochester College (Jumpstart), a weekend-long unity event between black and white churches of Christ in the metro Detroit area and, of course, the usual three morning services at Rochester. We'd just come off of a busy week with VBS and then the Children's Musical (a huge event here every year) so none of us were rested, but we got through it with the grace of God. Here are some highlights.

1. The Elders' Retreat. When asked about my greatest joy in Rochester or what keeps me here, I always, always list the staff and elders as the answer. The elders at Rochester are all godly men -- even when I disagree with them. I love their hearts. It wasn't a burden to be in their meeting and hear them work through issues and plans. When lunch was brought in -- stacks of pizza boxes -- they had even ordered a vegetarian pizza for me. Cool! God bless them all.

2. I couldn't eat the pizza, though. I was in a hurry to get down to Southfield for a youth event and worship service organized by the metro Detroit churches of Christ. White and black met together all day long in a youth rally, women's day, leadership session, and worship time.

3. While all of this is going on, my son is driving his classic .74 Gran Torino (less than 50,000 miles on it) in the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise, the largest spectator event in the US. Over 1,000,000 people line four to six miles of Woodward Avenue in Royal Oak as thousands of classic cars and trucks cruise a long loop. He drove it Friday night, Saturday afternoon (the morning was rainy and foggy), deep into the night. It is an incredible event and I would encourage all who love cars or spectacle to come see it at least once. I went with him for a couple of hours on Friday... but I had to be back for more work!

4. On Sunday I preached three services, one after another, as I always do. The difference was that we had several dozen visitors who were bringing their precious children to Rochester College and this was "goodbye Sunday." We spent every minute between services hugging and reassuring the parents, greeting the kids and getting them linked to members, and making sure all knew there would be a celebration party next Sunday (luau theme, by the way. Come and enjoy with us).

5. Right after the third service my family and 80 others from Rochester Church headed down to Southfield for the Mega Worship. Brother Jerry Taylor from Abilene preached again (fantastic, wonderful, pertinent, on target), black and white brothers led us in singing, and then I spoke. I did NOT want to follow Brother Taylor but they gave me no option. They were gracious to me and allowed me to tell my stories, make them laugh, and bring them a message from First Peter. Two hours after it began, the Mega Worship (no kidding -- that was the name of it) was over. Nearly 1000 black and white Christians crossed racial lines to hug each other, serve with each other, and promise more of the same.

6. Oh... and we also fed 2000 people on Friday and supplied that many kids with backpacks and school supplies; kids who would have otherwise had nothing.

Just another weekend in the frozen north. Tell me --

1. Any cool things happen at your place last weekend?
2. Any classic car lovers out there? Of all the cars you've owned, what is the one you loved the most; the one you wish you still had?

12 Comments:

  • At 8/21/2006 09:05:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You were awesome at the Mega Worship, Patrick! I hadn't been blessed to hear you speak before, but you speak basically just how you write, and it was very convicting and enjoyable. I listened with an added perspective, having read your last post just a couple of days ago. I looked around after the service to say hello and introduce my Duncan, but I had to go take communion and you were gone when I got out. I imagine 900+ people were a bit much for an introvert -- plus it sounds like you were ready to get home and relax a bit!! Anyway, hello from the lady on the 3rd row with the two blond girls and 2 1/2 year old boy (Duncan) who didn't sit down the entire event! I don't know if you got to come Saturday night, but Breadbox rocked the house, I'm so proud of my husband!

     
  • At 8/21/2006 09:08:00 AM , Blogger Keith said...

    Sounds like you need 2-3 days to recuperate from your weekend. A busy but constructive and impacting time I'm sure. I put my youngest of 3 children, Stephen, in Harbin Hall at Harding thursday nite. I drove by his dorm room this morning on the way to work and had a moment. Downtown church was standing room only at both services with new students and parents dropping off their loved ones as well. David Matthews delivered a reassuring message to the parents that their kids were among wonderful, broken, struggling people and we would embrace them on our journey together. Great Lord's day. Favorite automobile-1956 Chevy truck I bought for $500 and partially restored. Painted it a blue metallic color. It was so heavy. They don't make them that way anymore. Nice car that you son has. See ya.

     
  • At 8/21/2006 01:01:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I was so glad to hear about this event in the Detroit area. I'm sure there were lots of people there I know. And I'm glad you had the honor of speaking. Hopefully there will be more of these events, and greater unity among the churches and Christians there.

    I have never been to a Dream Cruise. I plan to come in my own classic car one day. My son and I are in the market for a late 60's or early 70's muscle car to restore (specifically, a Plymouth Barracuda, a Dodge Charger, a Plymouth Road Runner, or a Dodge Demon).

    BTW: Your son's Torino is Sweeeet!

     
  • At 8/21/2006 01:20:00 PM , Blogger KentF said...

    Wow Patrick - after reading this post I was going to request that - whatever it is you're taking, I want some of it. Then reading your previous post I'm doubly impressed by what God is doing through you. Keep preachin' brother.

     
  • At 8/21/2006 02:54:00 PM , Blogger David U said...

    Patrick, ask Don McLaughlin what North Atlanta did this past spring with the parking lot at the church.
    Sounds right up your alley.

    DU

     
  • At 8/21/2006 08:21:00 PM , Blogger Josh Graves said...

    Patrick,

    You really did an amazing job at the "Mega Worship" (that's hard for my postmodern lips to utter)--we're proud of your work!

    Josh

     
  • At 8/22/2006 05:39:00 AM , Blogger Jimbo said...

    Patrick-
    You always amaze! You were awesome with the teens and working with Rigel on Saturday. Then, come back Sunday and capture everyone with your wit and purpose. I could really tell you were all keyed up. Your BP must have been around 90 over 65 at least!!

    Thanks for coming to metro Detroit and letting us call you one of ours!

     
  • At 8/22/2006 05:41:00 AM , Blogger Jimbo said...

    Patrick-
    You always amaze! You were awesome with the teens and working with Rigel on Saturday. Then, come back Sunday and capture everyone with your wit and purpose. I could really tell you were all keyed up. Your BP must have been around 90 over 65 at least!!

    Thanks for coming to metro Detroit and letting us call you one of ours!

    My father-in-law had a 1970 Mustang Convertible at one point. I wish he had that car still.

     
  • At 8/22/2006 10:48:00 AM , Blogger Milly said...

    It sounds like you have a wonderful support staff. You are blessing the community in some great ways.

     
  • At 8/23/2006 09:53:00 AM , Blogger salguod said...

    That Mega Worship sounds cool. The COC's here have a collective worship each month that has 5 Sundays, on the evening of the 5th. I haven't been able to make one since I learned of it, but I hope to soon.

    Last weekend I was up your way, well, Toledo, for a wedding. It was a beautuful thing. My cousin, my Aunt's 'trouble kid' growing up, got married. He's a minister now, and 20-30 of the college kids he serves came to the wedding and told us what a great guy he was & sang some songs at the reception. It was cool.

    I'm blessed to have one of my dream cars now, Grampa's 1960 Thunderbird Convertible. I admired it when I was growing up (He got it when I was 11). Maybe one day I'll make it to the Dream Cruise with it, but it's not yet ready for a road trip. Still fun cruising around locally. Check out a couple of pics at my blog here. I need to get some more up.

    Columbus hosts a Dream Cruise of sorts each July, the Good Guys nationals. You can see pics from the last few years in my gallery if you're interested.

     
  • At 8/23/2006 09:55:00 AM , Blogger salguod said...

    Oops, link broken. T'bird pics here.

     
  • At 8/23/2006 11:15:00 AM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

    Very cool, Douglas! Awesome T-Bird. Get it ready and get it up here. Also, let us know a month or so ahead of time and maybe we can bring the Torino down to Columbus for their summer cruise.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home