PatrickMead

Monday, August 07, 2006

Is "Just Enough" -- Enough?

What if I were to walk into the living room where my beautiful wife sits and say this to her: "Okay, so we're married. I get it. I just need to be real clear on how much I have to do to stay married. What are your requirements? Give me a check list -- as long a one as you want -- and I will do whatever I have to, but no more. That's it. I am looking for the minimum allowable effort."

What would her response be? I doubt that her heart would flutter with joy or that she would brag to her friends about her dedicated and loving hubby, right?

Let me switch gears here. There is something in the universe known as the Law of Unintended Consequences. For example, guns have been effectively banned in the United Kingdom and now their level of robberies, murders and rapes has risen to a rate higher than that in the USA. The very thing they were trying to stop -- violence in their culture -- was fed by the law they passed.

Some very intelligent and dedicated men got together before and after the Cane Ridge Revival. They were seeking a way to unite all the sects of Christianity so that believers would no longer be divided. They put their considerable intellects to work, seeking a solution to the constantly fracturing world of Christian faith and came up with a plea to discover the irreducible minimums of Christianity -- those things all of us could, or should, agree on. They wanted to strip away all the denominational clutter and return to the "thus saith the Lord" of the New Testament.

How successful they were at finding the minimums is, of course, a matter of some controversy, but no one should impune their motives. The results, though, were not what they expected. Those who embraced the concept began dividing over who had found the correct irreducible minimums! Each found proof texts to back up their position and accused those who agreed with them on 90% or more of all their findings, but not the remainder, of being unfaithful, false teachers, evil and corrupt in their minds and hearts, listening only to their own itching ears.

Unbelievable. What was designed to create unity fostered division and acrimony.

But that's not all. It also created a philosophy of religion that turned our worship, obedience, and lifestyles into a simple matter of keeping the minimums, obeying the laws our particular sub-set agreed were the most important. We saw travesties such as men who were dishonestly taking worker's compensation being allowed to lead around the Lord's Table and men who treated their wives as nothing more than property now elevated to leadership because -- as flawed as they were -- they agreed with us on the use of musical instruments or what colleges or authors were acceptable (if any!). Their minimums were our minimums, so they were all right with us.

We had done the religious, metaphysical equivalent of going into our mate and asking for the minimums, thinking that might be acceptable. If it wouldn't work in our marriages (and it wouldn't!), what makes us think God will be happy with that level of love and commitment? Why should we design our worship and lives in such a way as to just stagger across the line of acceptability?

Confession time: I don't just love my wife -- I am enthralled by her. I am fired up and freaked out by being allowed to live in the same house as her. I am amazed by her; I'm always trying to find a way to please her, get near her, and make her smile. I light up when I think of her.

Why can't God get that kind of love from us? Why can't we stop trying not to do anything wrong and, instead, live and love Him lavishly, outrageously, and in such a way that -- though we might not get it exactly right -- He has no doubt where our heart is? Isn't that why He approved David's dance -- barely clothed -- before the Ark and cursed Michel's complaining about it?

In our search to only do what is acceptable, and only do it as often as we are commanded to do so, have we sterilized our religious lives and traded passion and joy for repetition and comfort? I don't WANT my marriage or my religion to be comfortable! I want it to be scary, passionate, thrilling, costly, risky, and powerful beyond words.

What say you?

8 Comments:

  • At 8/07/2006 09:03:00 PM , Blogger Franklin Wood said...

    Agreed.
    However, let me pose another question in the discussion...

    What happens when the "passion" is not there? What happens when you are tired?

    Obviously, you still love your spouse, even if you're tired!
    Don't get me wrong, I can see your point that sometimes it's an exercise in "what is enough to keep me out of trouble" instead of "what can I do to love Him like He loves me?!"
    My view of my marriage is that I want to try to out-love my wife EVERY day! Even if she is having a bad day or is mad at me (which almost NEVER happens!) I'm going to love her and try to go above and beyond!
    But I also fail in doing that quite a bit...especially when I am just plain tired.

     
  • At 8/09/2006 07:08:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I've been working this out a lot over the last year or so. Erwin McManus has written some good stuff regarding comfort and risk. One was that he challenged the notion that "the safest place to be is in the middle of God's will." He suggested that it is in fact the opposite - a dangerous place, a place involving great sacrifice and risk. Which brings up the question - when it comes to living out our faith, if we are doing so in comfort and safety, avoiding risk, are we truly living in his will, as he would have us live for Him?

     
  • At 8/10/2006 06:57:00 AM , Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

    An excellent post, one that truly feeds the soul.

    Thanks. Oh, do you mind me quoting a part of it this Sunday?

     
  • At 8/10/2006 09:27:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Where is this measure called enough? I haven't found it yet. Sometimes I feel like I do too much and other times like I'm not doing enough. In comparison to what, to who? Some people tell me I do too much but just when I think I can't do more, something else presents itself as needing done by someone, anyone who is willing. Can we ever do enough? In comparison to what, to who? God tells us not to compare ourselves to others and not to judge others. I do what I can and God stretches my cannot's so I can do more. I don't think enough is in His vocabulary. We just returned from a trip to Mexico with a group of teens working on completing a church building. I was completely amazed at how God enabled our bodies, young and old alike, to do the work. In the morning when we looked at what needed to be accomplished it was overwhelming but at the end of the day the goal we had laid out was completed, in fact, we surpassed the goal and did the work of two days in one. We could only shake our heads at the end of the day when we looked over the work. Yes, we were exhausted, we had worked, but God had worked along side of us so that what seemed impossible to us was surpassed with His help. Sometimes I feel like my work is a train crash waiting to happen, where all the connecting cars are going at their own speed, bumping into each other or tugging at each other. It appears to be nearing out of control so I start trying to figure out how to put on the brakes in a way that they don't all crash and cause a terrible accident, thinking which of those unruly cars need to be disconnected. What I am missing in all that worry is I need to turn the controls back over to God and take my place back in the caboose. When I do this, it is scary to see that God is shoveling in more coal and speeding the train up so those cars are pulled at His speed, which is greater than my goal, or even a collective goal, so that those cars concentrate on keeping up with Him. I grab hold and stand in awe at His work. We can never do enough. When we get to the end of what we think we can do, when we think we have done so much that we don't think we can possibly do more, God steps in and makes it more than enough, we can't get to that measure by ourselves.

     
  • At 8/10/2006 09:57:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The checklists that have been made which define what enough is and not one more drop than this wasn't lost on me, but your message spoke to me on the physical aspects as well as the spiritual. My great+ grandfather is Barton W. Stone who sought out ways to overcome divisions in the church his whole life and was rejected by most he tried to help. I am frustrated by the divisions, some of which I believe to be vain arguments that God does not appreciate, some of which is error, some of which is a preference in traditions. We do need to use scripture to discern truth and then decide if the division is a vain argument, an error, or a tradition. The truth is the skeleton, the framework of the church, but it is fleshed out by the Spirit. We are to worship in Spirit and in Truth. As I was reminded by another wise man this past Sunday, worship is not confined to the church building, it is our whole life.

     
  • At 8/11/2006 05:54:00 AM , Blogger Jim Martin said...

    Patrick,
    A very good post! Thanks...

     
  • At 8/13/2006 12:21:00 PM , Blogger David U said...

    PM, I have been in Phoenix without a computer.....yeah, I went cold-turkey for a week! Bout KILLED me! :) But, I knew I would miss some good posts by you.......and boy, DID I?!?! This post is SUPER-DUPER, as most of yours are.

    It reminded me of what Buddy Bell said at the Harding lectures a couple of years ago....."When are we going to quit calling certain churches 'sound', and call them what they really are......'dead'."
    Those "sound" churches are living up (or down) to the minimum requirements you are talking about.......and they are dying. By the boat-load. Yet, they are the proverbial frog in the heating pan of water....they don't even realize they are on their way to dying.

    OUTSTANDING post, brother! It reminds me why I am addicted to your blog.......I get fed EVERY time I visit.

    In HIM,
    DU

     
  • At 8/18/2006 06:09:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree that we need to be passionate about our service to God. It is interesting that I read this post today. This morning I was thinking about judgment day and what I was going to say in front of God. I have always pictured this God that loves, but he's a father figure. A guy that can get upset and beat me when he wanted to.

    Jesus on the other hand is like my brother. A guy that will stick up for me even when I’ve really screwed up.

    I’m up there on judgment day trying to defend myself to an all powerful/knowing God and he just won’t listen to me. It doesn’t matter how good I’ve been he just has a tendency to look at the negative things. Then Jesus pops in and starts defending me. I might be wrong, that’s just how I view my God. A guy that loves me well enough but there is a reason why we’re supposed to fear him and respect him.

    Here’s my point. How can we ever really do anything that will please God? Look at how many people he whacked in the Old Testament, some of them seemingly innocent. So at the end of the day I don’t really concern myself with whether or not my actions are going to offend a perfect being up above. I concern myself with following the principles of Jesus and I love him by attempting to walk in his teachings.

    “In our search to only do what is acceptable, and only do it as often as we are commanded to do so, have we sterilized our religious lives and traded passion and joy for repetition and comfort?”

    We most certainly have and we’ve lost a lot of good people because of it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home