PatrickMead

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Surf's Up!

[NOTE: just a reminder -- everything I write on this blog or over at tentpegs.blogspot.com is free of copyright. You may use the material in any way you wish -- even to disparage it! If you copy bits and pieces or whole articles and ideas there is NO need to attribute me. This is freely given. And worth every penny]

The waves are coming! I've never officially surfed. I've body surfed quite a lot and I've hung onto a boogie board for dear life from time to time, but no one's ever accused me of being blond, tanned, fit and reckless. I have a deep appreciation for the power of waves and at how helpless they can make you feel.

I'm caught in one right now, as a matter of fact. God sent in the wave and caught me off guard. Our church is going multi-site and using a multi-pronged approach to reach the lost in a large area of southeast Michigan. Almost everything we are doing or planning to do is new to us. In fact, it is outside of our CoC DNA. We MUST do it, though, for the Spirit is moving us in such a dynamic and forceful way that to resist it would be an act of open rebellion.

For most of my life the church (my particular tribe of it, anyway) has ignored the waves of change and the waves of human experience. We refused to grab our boards, climb on, and ride the big blue curl. We were comfortable treading water and either denying waves even existed or, if admitting that they might, we refused to get caught up in them. We stayed in our small group -- our buddy system intact, maintained by disapproval and a very large unwritten creed backed up by brotherhood publications -- paddling around in a tight circle while the wild and woolly people around us shouted "Cowabunga!" and zipped away.

The days of denominational loyalty are over. Most of the arguments we used to keep each other in line have failed in the two youngest generations on the planet. In retrospect, most of the arguments seem rather silly, like a theological version of the Monty Python argument scene with John Cleese (and going to church was akin to paying 5 pounds for the privelege of argument!). Like it or not, this is reality; our children are not impressed with our John Locke lockstep. They couldn't care less about postmodernism or modernism. They want to live in a way that matters, in a caring community, and in a way that brings honor to God.

But they don't want a megachurch -- brand name or not. They don't want a tiny church. They want to be in an active and meaningful small group that is part of a larger movement, one they can "dock with" from time to time; one that rides the waves with them and gathers to share the experiences in fellowship and grace.

I have fought God most of my life. I think of myself as a reluctant minister, a hesitant leader, a fearful explorer, and a timid son... but God keeps patiently sending the waves until I can't help myself -- I climb on and ride. Tomorrow night we -- the staff and elders -- will talk to a hand selected group of 60 of our members and give them our vision; what we believe the Lord can do here, with us, if we are unafraid.

I believe that Jesus would tell us "Lift up your eyes, for the fields are ripe for harvest" again. And he wouldn't want us standing on the shore, or dog-paddling in a tight, self-congratulatory group. He'd be the first to climb on his board and shoot the curl, all the while waving us onward.

Surf's up! Let's ride!

6 Comments:

  • At 7/06/2006 12:48:00 PM , Blogger Lee Hodges said...

    It is hard to steer a parked car, and it is just as hard for God to give direction to His people when they are not willing to step out.

    Know that your group is an encouragement to the rest of the Body that is sick and tired of being sick and tired. God's speed! Our prayers are with you in your steps of faith.

     
  • At 7/06/2006 06:05:00 PM , Blogger Keith Brenton said...

    Lee listens to Monty Python too?

    I mean, "sick and tired of being sick and tired" - that's almost a direct quote!

    Blessings on your sprawl. It sounds vaguely scriptural. Sort of like after Pentecost when all the feasting was over and everybody left Jerusalem and went home with good news.

    Go on home and tell your news!

     
  • At 7/07/2006 09:29:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "We MUST do it, though, for the Spirit is moving us in such a dynamic and forceful way that to resist it would be an act of open rebellion."

    I was just talking to God about all my concerns, out loud. I don't do that often, but I felt an audible voice might be heard better by Him, I was troubled. My kids weren't paying attention to me and I figured people driving by would just think I was talking to my kids. I was in the car on the way home from dropping off a member after her doctor's appointment, having to pick up dinner because it was too late to cook, yawning because I had been up working on materials for VBS and writing a devotional for a mission trip until 3am the night before and feeling overwhelmed with works for God that I've committed to in and out of the church, oppressed with bills and finances, having just re-enrolled for college to get that degree done, lots of housework and yardwork to do and not having one single clue, not one, on how everything is going to come together, and still while I was laying this all on God, I was sitting there feeling that "dynamic force" that is urging me on to new works that I haven't even started yet. I took both hands off the wheel (for just a second) up to God saying, "What am I thinking! I must be posssessed!" Then I laughed when I realized what I had said. We are supposed to be possessed with the Holy Spirit! I immediately felt refreshed. May all our tribe be completely taken over and possessed by the Holy Spirit! Not by might or power but by His Spirit! That's how it will get done! That's how you are going to ride that wave out! I believe many in our tribe are awakening to His urges. I feel like a lot of us are nervous spectators watching from the beach while the first of our tribe paddles out to catch a wave. We got the nerve to get a surf board and we are suited up. Let us know how it goes, we could use some surfing lessons!

     
  • At 7/07/2006 11:45:00 PM , Blogger Alan said...

    If we are listening to God instead of doing all the talking we know that what God is really interested in is justice and mercy for those that oppressed by sin, oppressed by poverty in the physical and spiritual, oppressed by powers of this earth (civil, moral, religious. It is time to stop trying to hang on to some romanticised restoration of the church and get to the task of resoration of people.

    I too am a Python fan. Sometimes I think we are sitting at a desk in an office ready to argue with anyone who will pay us. Or perhaps we are all ministers of silly walks.

    Just discovered your blog and like what I read. I also subscribe to your podcasts.

     
  • At 7/08/2006 07:31:00 PM , Blogger Nancy French said...

    Hey -- I have a newfound appreciation for your analogy after getting thrown into some rocky sand in the Pacific this week. I had seaweed in places I never thought possible.

    Anyway, great post -- all of them. About the most recent post, a good example of a church that crosses all boundaries (socioeconomic, racial, language, you name it) is Times Square Church in NYC. It's like Heaven will be.

     
  • At 7/10/2006 12:10:00 PM , Blogger Keith said...

    Pat,Keep paddling. Look forward to catching a wave here in Searcy. An experienced surfer,(not me) might tell you that fighting a wave is more dangerous than riding one. God is the driving force. Great post. Keep us posted on how the 60+ recieved you and your shephard's vision.
    Keith

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home