PatrickMead

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Thoughts on a Scattered Canvas

I'm still in Nebraska and will be until Saturday evening. A lot has gone on here and in the news and it causes my thoughts to flitter this way and that, somewhat like a Jackson Pollock painting. For those who might be interested, here are the random tunes of thought that keep rolling through my head.

Four baptisms two nights ago. The kids reacted with fierce enthusiasm after each one. How much better than the way we reacted in my day... by saying and doing nothing; just waiting for the song leader to step up and fill in the time with songs until the preacher could get back out. Hearing their battle cries of joy, seeing their fists pump the air, you sense they understand that one of their friends is now safe at last, home at last.

My son's physical went very well. One doctor called him a "perfect specimen." That was a compliment but it still sent a chill down my spine. My son isn't a specimen. He is unique. Yet, the Corps will make him part of the machine. I am proud and afraid in equal measures.

Three baptisms last night. No lessening of enthusiasm among the kids. Dozens are asking for prayers. Unlike the prayers I remember when I was a teen, these prayers aren't for themselves but for their friends and family. They are "other centered" not "self centered" and I am impressed. I find myself wishing I was as good a person as these teens.

Two good American men were butchered while still alive in the cruelest way imaginable. The animals who butchered them -- as far as I am concerned they turned in their "human race" card by this act -- may or may not still be alive. Soldiers and Marines are sweeping through the area killing over 200 and arresting hundreds more.

My son raises his hand on Monday to swear into the Marine Corps. The events of these days makes me prouder of him than ever. And yet... sleep is hard to come by. He is my boy. My son. My only son.

Today as I walked the campus of York College the teens cut short their games, songs, and gossip to come over and thank me for being there or make a comment on this or that. They wanted to visit with this old guy and that touched me deeply. Where do we get such good kids? Why has God blessed us with so many righteous teens? I am grateful and I am humbled by their affection.

Watershed had to postpone their concert here a third time today as one of their members is caught in airport purgatory because of storms in the upper Midwest. His wife is due to have a baby soon, as is the wife of Chris Lindsey, their lead singer and Rochester's Worship Minister. I pray for Tony's safety and thank God that they do this airport shuttle/shuffle every week without complaint.

Papers captured two years ago are slowly being translated and -- more slowly -- released that prove Saddam had lots of WMDs. Some were captured, most were moved away from Iraq with the complicity of Russia, Syria and France. And, of course, all three sit on the security council of the UN. I try not to think uncharitable thoughts. And fail.

Congressman Murtha calls our Marines murderers. Yet, more information coming out about Haditha indicate that this might very well end up being a hoax. Early reports say the people were killed with AK-47 rounds (7.62X39) and not the M16/M4 rounds used by the Marines (5.56 NATO). Also, the film was supplied by a man whose parents are known terrorists and he is a member of an insurgent group. It isn't enough to yell "hoax!" yet, but it is enough to make me want to slap Murtha. And to cancel my subscription to TIME magazine -- the ones who shopped the video all around the world before checking it out.

I try to calm my spirit but it just won't settle down. Images of Haditha, posturing politicians, my son, the two American soldiers, and the work waiting for me at home all press upon my mind and heart. I need to leave my room and sit among the teens again. By this time of day, and this deep into the week, they can smell a little bit and they are distinctly untidy. But they are smiling, laughing, praying, and singing. They think I am here to help them. I thought so, too. But, as so often happens, I find that when I went to give someone a blessing God had planned all along to give me one, instead.

Come Lord Jesus.

2 Comments:

  • At 6/22/2006 07:44:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Patrick, I am glad that I am not the only one thinking random thoughts such as those above.

    It makes me feel good to know someone's mind is filled with randomness from time to time.

    God bless and our prayers are for Duncan and the family!

     
  • At 6/22/2006 10:22:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I do not read the news with the perspective that it is raw truth, it rarely is because there is no person alive that doesn't swim in bias. I read it with the perspective of trying to figure out what it is that they want me to believe and why. Then I do a bit of exploring to see what my Christian media haunts are saying, and what the locals might be saying where the event took place. Blogs are wonderful for this and it gives opportunity to sway some that need to be swayed back into reality or humility or encouraged or rebuked, but gently. Of course, you are limited to people who are comfortable with sharing thier views or experience with others and the meek rarely speak, but it is at least a more honest effort than limiting myself to one media source. If I am lucky somewhere resides some truth. The mass media owned by but a handful with powerful agendas is counting on the masses not doing this exercise. Innocent until proven guilty is God's example, but he warned us that we have an accuser ready to see us all condemned. No less happened to our Saviour. God bless your son and the many, many son's and daughters that stand in the gap. They are God's sword, called by Him. We are not to resist where He sends them on whatever end of the sword we might find ourselves facing. There is nothing that He cannot use to His will for the good of those that love the Lord. We need to pray for the families that have such tragic losses and for any transgressors on either side of this battle. May God have mercy on us all. If you interpret much of Revelation and the other prophesies regarding the last days of the end times the way that I do, praying Lord come quickly is not an easy thing to do. It will bring much joy but also much sorrow will be seen first, and for many, much sorrow after. Still, Lord come quickly. Those in Christ have this hope; we know the joy will far surpass what we might be asked to endure. Our time is short, no matter how you look at it but offering your precious son to be used by God's will is a hard thing, He knows. His son endured terrible torture to conquer our greatest enemies, sin and death. I'm sure your son will be used in a mighty way by God for more than just his perfect stature and intelligence, he will shine like the brightest star and soldiers and enemies alike will see who this God of ours is.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home