PatrickMead

Monday, October 23, 2006

A Prayer for Scott


Scott and Debbie Borawski were members at Rochester Church for years. He had served in the military early in their marriage but had left it to go back to college when I met them. Debbie is one of those people who is endlessly energetic, optimistic, passionate, and sweet. Scott was the steady one, solid and thoughtful. Not long after 9/11 Scott indicated that he might re-enter the army. He was talked into finishing his degree, which he did a few years ago. He immediately went back to the Army. While he tried for Officer Candidate School, they gave him sergeant stripes instead and sent him to armor school.

Eventually, Scott left his wife and beautiful children behind and went to Iraq. His men loved Scott -- calling him "the old man" since he was older than most of the other soldiers. He was their team leader, but last Monday the 16th of October he was pulled from patrol to do Unit Movement paperwork. His four man team -- Colberston, Dumas, Unger, and Lauden -- went out without him. All four were killed by a roadside bomb (aka IED). The bomb was a powerful one that shredded their vehicle and the men inside.

The four men had been planning a big party for their "old man's" 36th birthday on the 21st of this month, but the party didn't take place. Scott was left alone, saved by a strange combination of Army paperwork and the Hand of God. He is getting care in Iraq and Debbie is surrounded by Army wives -- including those of the lost men, but what they all need is the love, grace, and healing that can only come from God.

Pray. And pray again. Pray for them by name. Create support groups for everyone in your congregation who is the parent or a sweetheart of a military person. And pray again.

My son and I went to see "Flags of Our Fathers" last Friday and we both enjoyed it. I feared an anti-military screed and he feared a whitewash of the brutality of war. Our fears were unfounded. It was an honest look at a time in our history that often gets turned into little more than a cartoon. It made me remember a line from the old M*A*S*H TV show after one of the doctors loses a young soldier. The CO tells him, "The first rule of war is that young men die. The second rule is that doctors can't revoke the first rule." (or something like that. It's been twenty years, people!)

Regardless of politics -- and please, no political comments need to be made to this post -- it is entirely appropriate to pray for these men and women and to pray for their families and to pray that God will guide the leaders of this and every nation. One lady in our congregation spends one hour in prayer every day -- you read that right -- asking God to bring the Muslims to Jesus. I pray that one day we will be able to send our sons with Bibles and not bayonets.

NOTE: some of you will want to write Scott and/or Debbie and offer support and condolences. I would love for you to do that. I will NOT post their emails and addresses here for there are too many who troll through the internet so that they can grab those addresses and then send "that's what you get you son of a..." letters to them. If you want to get in touch with them, email me. If I know you or have reason to think you are legit, I will send you their contact info.

9 Comments:

  • At 10/23/2006 09:36:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Unger was from my town. I watched his funeral procession Friday and was overcome with graditude and sadness. The procession alone showed honor and respect. I have never seen anything like it. We will pray!
    Jennifer
    Leavenworth KS

     
  • At 10/23/2006 09:37:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Patrick,

    My family and I will pray for Scott, his family and the families of the men who died.

    Concerning the lady who prays for the Muslims to come to Christ: (1) we all should and (2) I once heard a man say, Lord, we thank you for our enemies, because our enemies keep us on our knees."

    God bless

     
  • At 10/24/2006 07:49:00 AM , Blogger Bill Williams said...

    This has been a difficult month for all who are serving freedom's cause, especially those who are in Iraq.

    Let us all unite our hearts in earnest prayer for those who have lost loved ones.

    -bill

     
  • At 10/25/2006 06:45:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I sent Matt (Corporal, USMC) a text message asking him to read your post about Scott. His feeling is that we cannot overestimate the impact this tragedy will have on Scott. To a soldier (and in his case, the leader of these men) there really isn't anything worse than being apart for them when the worst happens. The "survivor guilt" is overwhelming and many never get over it. We MUST pray that Scott does and that he will allow God to use this in anyway He can as ONLY He can.

     
  • At 10/26/2006 05:35:00 AM , Blogger JD said...

    Thank you for sharing this Patrick. The heartbreak of all war is found when the nameless crowds of troops acquire names and families and stories. I am thankful for those with the heart to give all to protect us.

     
  • At 10/26/2006 09:27:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh man... God help them. And us.

     
  • At 10/27/2006 02:28:00 PM , Blogger Keith said...

    Will pray for Scott, his beautiful family, and the men and women who continue to "have our back" every day.

     
  • At 10/27/2006 03:59:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    We pray for Scott and Debbie...that peace and healing will come in time.

    My dad was a ground commander in England during WW2. He sent out a squadron of planes one day, and none came back...and he always described it as "the saddest day in my life"...even after learning years later that many of the men did survive capture and the war.

    I am so thankful that there is more support now for our men and women who serve to protect our country...that counseling is provided for times like this.

    May God bless Scott and Debbie...and thank you Patrick for sharing their heartache with us, so we can pray for God's hand to cover them during this time.

     
  • At 11/18/2006 12:48:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dearest Patrick,

    Oh how we miss you! Scott and I are awaiting the homecoming on the 5th of Dec. Well around that date anyways... who knows til the 4 hours before they land. Secret covert mission...(ha!) Our spirits are high yet, still grim of the sudden death of our friends and comrads. I went to the Memorial service for the fallen soldires and many others that have died that month, a total of 22, here on Fort Hood. It was rather difficult to see the young mothers and their babies having to sit through it. At the near end of the ceremony ,when they did roll call and then played TAPs it was so real. I had a knot in my throat and almost wanted to leave immediatly after service because I was so guilt ridden that my husband was a survivor yet, felt so blessed he was!
    Such mixed emotions in one day. Honestly I have been approached by many women in the company that are smug with me about it. I am not sure about the maturity level with this, I just pray that they will consider my feelings and open their hearts to woman in the same condition than me in the future. I, myself, can handle it because I am strong and I have the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. That is basically the only need there is! Yet, I feel for the victims of circumstance that don't understand that and seem to be treated the same way. I have grown to understand in some reasons, one way or another, that you can not let Satan bring you down. You can not let woman who have so much bitterness towards a circumstance make you the victim of the circumstance. I do embrace now the ones who need to be embraced and wait for the ones that will. My husband, Scott, will need that embrace and protection from me. It will be my turn to protect, love and consider this outreach in life for my husband, and best friend. Scott and I pray regularly on the phone when he calls me from Iraq. It is amazing how good you feel when you get off. NOW MORE SO THEN EVER THOUGH NOW! You never know when the last tim eyou will talk to your loved one. Scott and I know now that we are going to live our lives for the fallen soldiers. The one that defended our freedom and we will try to condition ourselves closer to our Lord!
    At Belton Church of Christ, we are starting up a military outreach. We will be adopting the soldiers of Charlie CO. They are going to put on a special dinner that will be on the soldiers behalf. I am pleased to see this go so well. Pray that our outreach to these soldier who have been through so much this year, be touched by our willingness to serve those men. We have many veterans at our church that have a handle on life and has experienced this. We are very lucky. Yet,my heart is still at Rochester Church of Christ too! I miss you so much! and to google my name and see this article about us makes my heart just leap for joy that we have you as a awesome mentor and special friend in our lives. WE WILL BE IN ROCHESTER THIS CHRISTMAS!! HAVE ANY ROOM AT THE INN???
    Love to you and the family!
    hugs
    Deb Borawski
    Proud wife of a Husband, SON, Father, Soldier and HERO!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home