PatrickMead

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Thoughts Before the Road

I hit the road tomorrow to do a men's retreat for the Elmwood Church of Christ in West Lafayette, Indiana. Before I do... some random bits...

It snowed this morning. I'm not kidding. Our "high" today is supposed to be 39. While the snow -- which came down furiously for a half hour -- has mostly melted in the sunshine, this reminds us of several things: we are not in charge of the planet or its weather, none of us are using enough aerosols, and global warming is a myth -- at least in Michigan.

My mother is doing much better. Thank you for your prayers. Dad is scheduled to leave for Guyana two weeks from Monday.

Since the men's retreat is at a camp, and I'm thinking of my parents, I keep thinking of growing up and that leads to thoughts of...

Food. My mother is an Irish cook, which means she can't. She is a lovely lady, but fact is we had leftovers for sixteen years. The original meal was never located. My wife does wonderful things with leftovers. She throws them out.

School. I'm not sure why I studied the least helpful subjects all the way through school, but I AM proud that I can speak Esperanto like a native. My higher doctorate is in "psychoneuroimmunology" which means "there are no jobs in this. What were you thinking?" My dad wanted me to have all the educational opportunities he never had, so he sent me to a girls school. I always wanted to be an intellectual until I realized an intellectual is just someone who thinks they found something more interesting than sex. And a Ph.D? Yea, I got a couple, but face facts. A Ph.D. is just what they award you for transferring bones from one graveyard to another. (Originality is undetected plagarism) We had a tough school. We had our own coroner. One of my best papers was from the fifth grade and titled, "What I Want To Be IF I Grow Up."

Haircuts. I got a bad one. I'm not sure why or how it happened. It seems that my barber is a world expert on everything except the cutting of hair. People tell me that the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is two weeks. Nope. This is going to take longer. I've seen Number Two pencil erasers that looked better. Good thing I've already got a girlfriend.

House and Home. My wife keeps things awfully neat and clean. I'm not sure I understand that. I learned something in the years I lived alone: if you don't clean your house for two months, it really doesn't get any dirtier. I've also learned that children brighten up a home... because they never turn off any lights. When I was a kid, our family never talked. We communicated by putting up Ann Landers columns on the refrigerator. My father never took me to the zoo. He told me that if they wanted me, they'd come and get me. I'm doing much better now. Although I'm just 49, I'm reading at a 55 year old level.

Marriage. When I first saw Kami it was like all my birthdays came at once. I agree with Groucho Marx when he said that anybody who can see right through women is missing a lot. I am still wowed by her. When I first kissed her, I kissed her like I was trying to clear the drains. It is still hard to keep my enthusiasm in check. Sometimes we have words, but I never get to use mine. That's probably for the best.

Music. My sister was a town and country soprano of the sort best used to augment grief at a funeral. She wanted me to learn to appreciate the higher forms of music, but I confess that classical music, to me, is something that one listens to in vain hope that it will eventually stumble upon a tune. I went to an opera and admit that it is impossible to fully appreciate it after hearing it only once. I also admit that I will not sit through it a second time. I listen to my XM radio a lot. It has a channel for the top twenty records only. I listened to it and shuddered thinking, if these were the top twenty, what must the bottom fifty sound like? Of course, I should talk. My singing is best described as something between the sound of a rat drowning, a lavatory flushing, and a hyena devouring her afterbirth in the Appalachian Mountains under the light of a full moon.

Until later.... I've miles to go before I sleep...

11 Comments:

  • At 10/12/2006 09:44:00 AM , Blogger believingthomas said...

    "trying to clear the drains" yikes!

    You crack me up.

     
  • At 10/12/2006 09:51:00 AM , Blogger reJoyce said...

    *weather report*
    Still snowing here in Grand Rapids. Big fat flakes falling outside my window right now. There are a couple of inches on the ground, but it's not sticking on the pavements.

     
  • At 10/12/2006 10:04:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Snow? What is that? I know winter is near because my humming birds left last week.

    Snow? I had my share growing up in the Blue Ridge in Western North Carolina. The North border of Arkansas is too far North for me.

    Grace and Peace,
    Royce Ogle

     
  • At 10/12/2006 11:02:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I know you hate the cold and snow. It will be 77 degrees in Knoxville Sunday. The Parkway church could use you (if just for a brief loan). Ya'll come on down...I'll pay for the "gaa-ese".

     
  • At 10/12/2006 06:22:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yikes, I just moved into a house where the previous occupant tested the "if I don't clean it for two years it will never get any dirtier" theory and I am hear to tell you that from a female perspective, YES IT DOES!!!! Just ask my vacuum cleaner.

     
  • At 10/13/2006 02:52:00 AM , Blogger The Raabs said...

    Esperanto! Where did you learn that in the States? (you must have lived elsewhere)
    When I first came to the Netherlands and was supposed to be learning Dutch, my teacher only taught me Esperanto - not that I learned any of it. I hear it is still used in China, so maybe I'll go there someday.

     
  • At 10/13/2006 06:43:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with your observation of global warming being a myth. I had a "discussion" with God yesterday morning. Told Him I didn't mean to be insubordinate or anything, but that I am definitely not okay with cold and snow in the middle of October. He just laughed and sent more.....

     
  • At 10/13/2006 08:00:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice Robert Frost reference there, Patrick!

     
  • At 10/14/2006 08:08:00 PM , Blogger Keith said...

    Kissed like you were cleaning out the drains...now all my passageways are clear from spewing. Thanks for the comic relief. Safe travels.

     
  • At 10/16/2006 10:19:00 AM , Blogger Amy S. Grant said...

    I just found this #2 blog of yours. Are you trying to keep up with Donna or something?

    Hope the retreat went well. I was born into that church in West Lafayette in 1969 while my dad was preaching there. So cool to know you were asked to speak there!

     
  • At 10/19/2006 05:19:00 PM , Blogger Jim Martin said...

    Patrick,
    A great post! I love your humor. I find myself smiling as I read these posts from you.

    Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home