PatrickMead

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Where Were You?

On September 11, 2001 I was playing golf with friends from my congregation. We were in Conway, SC playing The Witch. While still on the front nine a man rode up to us in a golf cart and said, "Someone's flown planes into the Twin Towers and attacked the Pentagon. They're evacuating Washington!" And then he drove off. We wondered if he was drunk, but since it was still before mid-morning that would have been unusual even for the Myrtle Beach area.

The men I was playing with asked me if I thought it was true. I said I didn't, but that if it were true, it was probably "that guy named bin Laden." I already knew that name because of various acts of terror thrown against us that he planned, orchestrated, or supported. Still -- we were shocked when we returned to the clubhouse just in time to see the replay of the second plane hitting the tower. Shortly afterwards, the towers fell.

I got home to my wife. My daughter had called me when I was still on the course. She was getting my son -- her brother -- out of school. At that time we didn't know if schools would be safe. The desire to get home was very strong; I remember that most of all. I walked in and hugged my wife and kids as they stared at the TV screen. Nobody knew how many attacks would be launched or where the next one would be. I got calls asking if we should gather at the church building. My opinion was "no, stay home with your families and don't give the terrorists another target by gathering believers in one place." I'm still not sure I made the right call.

Some of our neighbors and a couple of our church members had made it very plain in previous months that they considered our family political and evolutionary throwbacks. We owned guns and competed in shooting competitions and that made us right wing loonies. Suddenly, those same people came to our house. Their husbands were trapped in far-off airports and nobody knew when, or if, they would be able to come home. Fear gripped the neighborhood as it did the nation. They came to us and asked us if they could stay with us, under our protection. Of course, we waved them in and comforted them. One particularly nervous woman asked, "Should I buy a gun?" I told her, "No. We've got you covered."

Another asked me how we should feel, what we should do next. I responded, "One thing must be understood. Fear is not an option. We do not and we will not fear these men. They must fear us." My young son, already a strong young man, stood silently nearby, eyes free of fear or confusion. It was clear: we were at war, open war.

While politicians play "gotcha" games and toss empty attacks and promises back and forth the airways, we will continue to pray for the soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen. We will continue to pray for those who wake up every day with the knowledge that a loved one was taken from them by terrorism or war. We will remain vigilant -- remembering that Jesus said WATCH and pray. Duncan -- whose Gaelic name is Donnachad (try saying it DAWN-ach-eg), meaning "dark warrior" -- has raised his hand and sworn an eight year commitment to the US Marine Corps. The US and Marine Corps flags fly from our front porch.

We know they are out there. We know they are near us. We know they want to kill us. But we will not let them defeat our faith or our commitment to Christian service. We will continue to grow the Rochester Church, serve this area in various charitable works, and love our neighbors. We are well aware that this world is not, and will never be, heaven. We will not live with a Pollyanna or pie-in-the-sky attitude that says "if we just talked to them, they'd like us!" We will walk wisely, redeeming the time.

And we will trust that "the battle belongs to the Lord."

6 Comments:

  • At 9/10/2006 01:53:00 PM , Blogger David U said...

    Has it really been 5 years? I remember like it was yesterday watching the second plane fly into the remaining twin tower.

    I remember thinking...."so this is what evil looks like".

    Give my thanks to Duncan for his service to our country. May God protect him during this time of war.

    In HIM,
    DU

     
  • At 9/10/2006 02:26:00 PM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

    Great new photo, TG! Duncan is proud to serve. I'll pass on your thanks to him. The deal he wants to have is simple: he'll pray and fight for us if we pray for him.

     
  • At 9/11/2006 10:54:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Patrick,

    Once again great words! Thanks to Duncan for his service in our country.

    Your statement of "But we will not let them defeat our faith or our commitment to Christian service," needs to be remembered by all.

    Also, the last line of your post was wonderful!

    God helps us stay true to our life of service to the God of heaven!

     
  • At 9/11/2006 11:22:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My children and I were just discussing how it doesn't seem like it's been five years. I can't think of that day without that feeling in my stomach and heart swelling back up. Five years ago,we were doing our homeschooling and a message came over the answering machine from our automated homeschooling phone chain saying that there had been a plane crash into the tower. I turned on the television in time to see the second plane hit the other tower. There were two dads in our homeschooling group that are pilots and were flying that day. Living in NJ, there many people we knew were working near or in the towers in NY. It felt like time stopped for at least a month while we all gradually came out of various stages of shock. My husband's uncle gave the sermon yesterday at church, we are in process of begining the process of trying to find a preacher for Tabernacle, so our men are taking turns speaking, anyway, he gave an example of how our perspective is like watching the view from a traffic cam-recorder posed watching over a busy intersection at a bridge, we have a limited scope and range to discern what is going on with traffic conditions, while God is up in the helicopter with a full view. It is hard to understand how God uses nations to punish other nations, it is hard to read the verses where entire cities were commanded to be destroyed of every living thing and wonder where the mercy in that is, but God has the big picture. If those instructions had been followed out back in the time of Joshua we may not have had centuries of generations perpetuating evil and war. I reason that there were children that would never know the truth were spared an eternity without God, spared growing up as orphans, enbittered that their families and nations had been taken from them. I reason that God knew the hardened hearts of their elders would not change and so he commanded one nation against another. His commands might seem merciless to those who don't believe there is a life to come, but even with my very limited ability to reason, in hind-sight, I can see wisdom in his ways. I ponder the current world situation and pray we are not an evil nation that God is bringing against another nation in the call to repentance, I pray that we are a righteous nation that God is using against another nation in the call to repentance. But as I examine our nation, it comes up short on many things. Granted it is better than many, but I say that not wanting to be like the man praying "thank you Lord that I am better than him". We as a nation need to never forget whom we place our trust in and we need to strive harder, much harder, at be pleasing to God. We need to stand in the gap in prayer on many counts while God's hand directs those like your son on our behalf. We need to pray daily for our leaders and the lost in our own nation. Oh, and count me in as one of those evolutionary and political throwbacks! I think I am in good company.

     
  • At 9/12/2006 08:10:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I was living outside US... yet I saw the second plane crash live.

    I couldn't believe this was not another Hollywood movie but live on CNN. People were dying there and all one can do is watch… or run - if too close.
    It seemed like time has stopped and there will be no tomorrow.

    But I’ve learned that there is always tomorrow, there is always hope and life overcomes. The Day After, for the first time, I became a father.

    He’s five now and he’s building – guess what? – toy skyscrapers.

     
  • At 9/18/2006 09:36:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, I didn't know Duncan had a Gaelic counterpart -- I'd have named our Duncan Donnachad in a heartbeat. Of course he'd have to go through life being called Dawna-Chad and that would have been bad, huh? (yes, I know I have responded to this post in the most shallow way possible. There wasn't much to add, though, was there?).

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home