PatrickMead

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Libel in the Name of Christ

Here we go again. I am used to being "written up" [for those outside of our religious circles, that means having articles published against me, my congregation, or something I've said]. Sometimes, I deserve it. I make no claim to always being right about everything. What pains me, however, is that most of the time I am written up for the most bizarre things that don't have a basis in truth.

I remember well the time some churches in West Virginia circulated a letter attacking my then congregation (Madigan Avenue, in Morgantown) for allowing my wife to lead songs in worship and teach an adult class. Your religious tribe may allow such things, but that's beside the point. The point is: my wife is such a shy and quiet woman that she would sooner die than say six words in public. The "charge" was inaccurate and, frankly, silly. One of the men who circulated that letter around also wrote a (self published) book(let) detailing what he claimed were my teachings accompanied by a lot of exclamation points.

Here is where some heroes enter the story. I put up with that for over a year until my elders heard about it. They immediately told me to "let not my heart be troubled." As one said, "Your job is to preach and teach. Our job is to make sure you get to do your job untroubled." They called the man and told him to desist, challenging him on the fact that he had never come to me about any of his charges. His response? Since I spoke publicly, there was no requirement to come to me privately. Huh? When he refused to stop, my elders took a road trip the next Sunday. Even though he preached in another State, they were there when he stood up to preach! They went to his elders who promptly ran away saying something to the effect that what their preacher did had nothing to do with them, they didn't want to know anything.

That slowed that particular preacher down, but others popped up, trying to make their name by destroying mine or any of a large number of other speakers and preachers in the church. While they are not qualified to be elders in their own congregation, they try to become bishops over many by their websites, publications, and rants.

Yet, that isn't what upsets me. What upsets me is the fact that these brethren are doing this -- lying, gossiping, libeling -- in the Name of Christ and that sullies His glorious Name, dilutes the testimony of the gospel, and breaks the fellowship He died to create. Want to criticize me or challenge me? Go ahead, for I might very well deserve it. I have been wrong so many times I have gotten rather good at it! I need correction and my elders and friends supply it with love and gentleness. I am grateful for their help, their guidance.

I have only been "fired" from a speaking engagement once (although it has been threatened several times). The organizers of a rally day for a children's home saw a program where I spoke at an event where another speaker in the church, with whom they disagreed, spoke. It didn't matter that I never saw the man, had never met him, and was never questioned about where I stood on disputable matters... I was guilty by geography! At least they called to tell me, and I appreciate that.

Yesterday I got a notice from a place I am to speak later this year. One of the congregational supporters of the event has pulled their money and banned their men from coming because, they say, we support instrumental music on our website. The organizer checked and -- no, it isn't there. Now what? Put aside for the moment, please, whether or not that is an issue that should divide brothers... shouldn't someone have checked with us first?

I promptly volunteered to be removed from the event if that would restore unity and peace. I don't like traveling and public speaking has always been a terrible chore... so if I go it will be for the cause of Christ and if I stay behind, it will be for the cause of Christ.

And those brothers who dislike me, who have libeled this congregation, and who have broken God's law by not coming to us first? I love them. I support them in their kingdom work. If they ever need financial help, if they ever have a health crisis, or if their families ever experience breakup, division, or death, I hope I hear about it so that I can go and help them, love them, and pray with them.

For I used to be one of them. God help me -- I was worse than they are. The Lord gave me time and forgave me, so how could I be angry with them or wish them anything other than blessings and joy?

10 Comments:

  • At 9/06/2006 10:15:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I admire your attitude toward your attackers. If these people knew the meaning of the Golden Rule, they would certainly go to you before publishing their poisonous words.

    I was written-up a few years ago. The man who wrote the article basically called me "brainless" (which may be true, but it was not very nice of him to point it out to everyone!).

    I pray that these angry, frustrated watchdogs of the brotherhood will change their ways, and that their power and influence will continue to decrease.

     
  • At 9/06/2006 10:15:00 AM , Blogger reJoyce said...

    I'd say it is quite a challenge for some people to know how to say they disagree with someone without getting ugly about it. It's a sad thing to witness, and does a great disservice to the witness of the church.

    I'm so thankful to be saved by Jesus and not by having perfect doctrine.

     
  • At 9/06/2006 11:17:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    We are rejoicing with you my brother. Matt. 5:10-12

     
  • At 9/06/2006 11:18:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Patrick,

    I remember the West Virginia incident of which you speak. I was living in West Virginia at the time.

    I find it sad brethren woudl rather write-up someone than talk to them in a respectful manner. I have been in places where people even speak in sarcastic tones about other preachers, knowing they will never go talk to them.

    I generally go home and pray for those brethren. They need the grace of God more than others.

    I might write myself up one day for something dumb I thought I did.

    Thanks for your attitude and your words.

     
  • At 9/06/2006 02:48:00 PM , Blogger David U said...

    Patrick, I have never read any negative things about you, but as you remember, I got to witness first hand you being attacked verbally by a brother. It was a footwashing for me that February day, and it is a footwashing for me today as I read about your Christ-like spirit. I am a better person and I have a stronger walk because of your example. I plan on hanging out with you a BUNCH on the other side, when we both get there. Ain't it going to be awesome? :)

    Persevere brother.........persevere!

    DU

     
  • At 9/06/2006 05:47:00 PM , Blogger KentF said...

    God bless your ministry for Christ Patrick - and thank God for His grace through Jesus for those that have caused so much diviseness over the years. Satan is powerful, but God has won the battle.

     
  • At 9/08/2006 01:13:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's not fun to have someone talk about something they don't like about you and that talk, or most likely, some altered version of that talk, gets back to you. It's also not fun to have someone confront you face to face and it's more like "an in your face confrontation." It's not fun to have to confront someone, especially when you are hurting inside from what was said or done. It's not fun when someone doesn't really say they are sorry and instead makes you out to be the vilian when you were the one hurt. It's not fun to realise you hurt someone and have to say you are sorry. It's not fun when God calls it so that you have absolutely no choice but to take responsibility for the confrontation in order to snatch someone from the evil one's head hold or heart hold. It's just not fun but sometimes you have no choice. When it happens, humility, gentleness, and forgiveness are in order but to be like Jesus and say, Father forgive them for they know not what they do, that is a goal I need to reach. You sound like you might be there Patrick. I keep having to remind myself that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

     
  • At 9/08/2006 07:35:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    People who "write up" other people without going to the "offending" person first are cowards, pure and simple, whether it be in the church or any other venue. As a relatively new Christian, I was absolutely shocked when I first heard of this practice within our body of believers. I've even heard of a situtation when a church put messages on billboards against the preacher of another church. What a poor example of stewardship.

    I have to agree with Stoogelover!!!

    Patrick, your response of grace to those who send venom your way is proof of your character.

    In Christ,
    Annette

     
  • At 9/08/2006 08:15:00 AM , Blogger Bill Williams said...

    Patrick,

    I'm so glad you posted this! It is important that the practice which you have identified here be seen for what it is. You have done an excellent job in making it clear.

    While this post was unbeknownst to me, I posted something similar. This is not an attempt at shameless self-promotion, but you might find it interesting. Here's the link:
    http://spiritualoasis.wordpress.com/2006/09/08/the-rest-of-the-story/

    Hope to see you next time I'm in your neck-of-the-woods.

    Oh! I almost forgot. If you end up with an open date on your schedule, I'd like to claim it!

    Grace to you,
    -bill

     
  • At 9/08/2006 08:20:00 AM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

    I would recommend all to go to Bill's post. It is a very good one and worth your time. Thanks, Bill.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home