PatrickMead

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Island Adventures!

It wasn't exactly "Pirates of the Caribbean" but I just got back from a couple of day's worth of island adventures. I was invited to speak at a conference/annual meeting of the FBI National Academy up on Mackinac Island.

Mackinac (for you non-Michigan types, it is pronounced 'mack-in-aw.' I think it's from an Indian word meaning 'unable to spell phonetically) is reached via ferry from the lower peninsula town of Mackinaw City or the upper peninsula town of St. Ignace. People from the UP, by the way, refer to those of us in the lower section of the State as "trolls" because we live under the bridge -- the magnificent Mackinac Bridge linking the two.

Mackinac is known for the Grand Hotel (featured in the old Christopher Reeve movie "Somewhere in Time"), for the fact that cars are not allowed on the island, and for the fudge shops that litter the place. On an island only 8 miles in circumference you can find 17 fudge shops. This is one man who refuses to complain about that... The horse drawn carriages, taxis ans shuttles are everywhere and teams of workers shovel their.. uh... exhaust constantly. Say what you will about the evils of cars, but at least their exhaust goes up, up and away.

The men and women of law enforcement could not have been more gracious. They treated my wife and son as celebrities. Many of them leapt forward to give Duncan their business cards, identifying themselves as former Marines who stood ready to help him in his career in the Corps. After a day and a bit on the island it came time for me to give my talk. I felt like I was cheating them. I wasn't charging them for my time, expenses, or the talk, but they were paying for our hotel room and suppers and that couldn't have been cheap. Plus, I was the last talk on the day -- an after dinner speaker, no less -- and they didn't get around to me until 8:30. The event was to end at 9:00 so there wasn't much time to say what I wanted to say. Fact is, with four pages of notes, I didn't get past the first one.

Not only that, but twenty or so of them had heard me before but the Lieutenant who asked me to join them on the island asked me to repeat that same talk. I hope they know I have more than one! Regardless, I pressed on, gave them 25 minutes of one-liners, fun, and reminders that they are loved and appreciated by we non-badge bearing types.

I sincerely hope it was of some benefit to them. I admire them and rely on them every day. I couldn't travel, speak, or live as I do without their constant vigilence and noble service. God bless them...

In fact... that leads me to this. If you've read this far, please consider this: the Rochester Church is planning a special service of blessing for law enforcement officers, firefighters, and other first responders. It will probably be in early Spring. We plan to fill our building and offer them prayers, expressions of support and love, as well as anything else we can come up with that will let them know our appreciation is real. We have already offered them our building anytime they need to have an event, class, or just a place to stop for awhile and rest.

Create a sanctuary in your church building for first responders. Keep a coffee pot going for them and a quiet room for them to rest, read, or pray. Start a yearly tradition of an evening of blessing (plus, perhaps, a remembrance of any who fell in the line of duty that year). Read Romans 13:1-6 to your small group, Bible class, or worship service and ask for prayers for those who stand in that thin blue line between us and darkness.

As beautiful as Mackinac Island is (and it IS beautiful), the most beautiful things I saw this week were the true and gentle hearts of those who wear the badge. God bless them all.

5 Comments:

  • At 9/02/2006 10:19:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I really like the idea of the building being a haven where anyone could stop by for a rest and a place to pray or just a cup of coffee and some companionship. It would probably take a while for people to know it was available to use in that way, but with a little advertising and use of that new sign we have, I truely think people would avail themselves of that opportunity. We'd have to arrange to have someone always at the building, but I think it's workable. We have been trying to brainstorm on ways we can reach out in our community and make a difference and this sounds right up that alley. We do need to honor and support the men and women who serve in such capacities whenever we can.

     
  • At 9/03/2006 08:19:00 PM , Blogger Keith said...

    Great idea to honor these men and women by the church. When our tribes realize that the brick and mortar building should be used more than 3-4 hours a week, ministry outreach ideas will begin multiplying.

     
  • At 9/04/2006 06:45:00 PM , Blogger Jimbo said...

    I am hoping our buildings can become just that "havens of rest". We, at Plymouth, just recently hosted families from a local abuse shelter. For those of us who were able to be there, it was a tremendous night of wonderful generosity and the love of Christ being poured out. What I heard from out people was that they wanted more of that!!

    I like your idea too! We may have to give that a shot!

     
  • At 9/05/2006 06:14:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The folks in the "thin blue line" are people we should honor more.
    One of the blessings of being in a church as large as ours, with the attendant traffic and security problems, is the opportunity to make relationships with the police officers of our city. Many of those who work our traffic and security are members, and many more are coming to know that they are welcome, that we love them, and that we value their service. It also gives our kids, especially our teens, a chance to see a police officer as something other than the guy who pulls you over when you run a stop sign.

    A side note: when I was a boy my family had a gas station. Our night man (who worked 7 days a week), always had a pot of coffee ready for the policemen, and he would prop the door open so they could hear their radios while they came in and had a cup. He knew every cop on that side of town, and he was never robbed, or even bothered long by drunks.

     
  • At 9/05/2006 03:39:00 PM , Blogger Jim Martin said...

    Patrick,
    What an interesting experience! And--some great suggestions for the community. Thanks for passing these on.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home