PatrickMead

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Weird Travels

A change of pace blog today....

Yesterday a man passed me in his Toyota Prius. He had a goatee, a smug look.... and a huge Harley Davidson sticker on his bumper. A Prius and a Harley... aren't those two natural enemies in the wild?

It's another dark, rainy day in Michigan; definitely fall weather. I find myself getting squirrelly at this time of year (okay, more squirrelly). I'll catch a fly, hold it over a globe, and say, "Dude! You're flying too high!" or run outside with a toothpick and throw it in the woods yelling, "You're home now!"

As our church kids went off to college I recalled my own first days at university. My grandmother wouldn't hear of me buying dorm furniture. She insisted on supplying stuff from her house. I had the only dorm room that looked like a set from Pirates of Penzance. Grandmom was a tough lady. She buried three husbands and we think two of them were only napping. I went to see her last week. Well, I had to go to the attic anyway... I paid for my first year of school by selling encyclopedias. Man, when the librarian found out about that...

I'm off to Brownwood, TX this weekend to do a three day family seminar. Weather.com tells me it will be in the high 90's while I'm there. Yikes. Am I not living a righteous life to avoid having to be in a hot place one day??? I hope my flight is better than the last one. I think I might have been sitting in Assistant Coach.

I had an argument with a lady recently who told me that God was a woman. I don't think she's right. I certainly HOPE she isn't because if she is, and I go to hell, I'll never know why.

Seeing Duncan getting ready to leave for the Corps makes me feel old. Maybe that's because I AM old. Our globe in grade school was flat. I watch my parents to see how they're doing as a preview of coming attractions. My mother has new teeth, her cataracts removed, and a new hearing aid. I told her we're going to fix her up a little more and then sell her. She didn't laugh. My grandmother did well -- lived to 88 years old and never used glasses. Drank right from the bottle.

I'm just asking -- did anyone else play Twister like we did? They'd lock me up in a closet and tell me a tornado was coming. At least it kept me from going to the family reunion. I love my family, but some of those branches needed cutting. And there's always that amateur geneologist there with the books and photos showing your lineage all the way back. That can be useful, true, as I learned one of our family customs was -- if someone is sitting too close to you on the branch, fling your poo at them. That seems helpful, somehow.

I don't want my son to get too physically involved with girls yet so I tell him that kissing is just swapping spit at the sweet end of thirty feet of intestines.

I want to diet and have a great body, but not as much as I want dessert. I found a solution -- I go on two diets at the same time, because one diet will never supply enough food...

I'm off to a staff meeting now. What are the odds I'll get serious and pastoral in time? In a world where a Prius can have a Harley sticker... why not celebrate the strange?

12 Comments:

  • At 9/13/2006 08:05:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Patrick, why not celebrate the strange in staff meeting? Oh, sorry, I forgot, this is church....shhhhh....

     
  • At 9/13/2006 08:36:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My wife collects tooth pick holders...boy do I feel guilty!

    Great post brother! Brighten my day.

     
  • At 9/13/2006 08:51:00 AM , Blogger Donna G said...

    I get squirrly this time of year too....obviously not as squirrly as you, but I am just saying..

     
  • At 9/13/2006 08:54:00 AM , Blogger David U said...

    Brownwood? It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there. Are you going to get to catch any of the ACU lectures?

    Have a GREAT trip!

    DU

     
  • At 9/13/2006 09:16:00 AM , Blogger reJoyce said...

    Wow. You're in fine form today. :-)

    Thanks for the laugh. The gloom here in MI was making me feel a bit sad today, so I needed it.

    Cheers!

     
  • At 9/13/2006 12:05:00 PM , Blogger Milly said...

    . . .as the duck said, "You quack me up!"

     
  • At 9/13/2006 12:58:00 PM , Blogger Kara Graves said...

    that is hilarious. you never cease to crack me up. my favorite question from people that I get when they realize I am your daughter is: "is he like this all the time?"

    yes :)

     
  • At 9/13/2006 08:52:00 PM , Blogger Lara said...

    What a perfect way to end the day! You crack me up! Seriously, do the auditions of 'Last Comic Standing' ever get to Michigan? If not, they are missing out!

    I always expect something deep when I visit your blog. Thanks for not letting me down! :)

    I second the "ba dum bum!" lady.

     
  • At 9/14/2006 10:53:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Quote:
    "I had an argument with a lady recently who told me that God was a woman. I don't think she's right. I certainly HOPE she isn't because if she is, and I go to hell, I'll never know why."

    I just now stopped laughing to say, "AMEN."

     
  • At 9/14/2006 02:41:00 PM , Blogger Keith said...

    Zingers!!!Good job Seinfeld. Dude, you were on a roll. I may never kiss again.

     
  • At 9/16/2006 02:05:00 PM , Blogger ark_keeper said...

    Good old Patrick. Well not THAT old. My parents are the ones trying to figure out what grandparent names they want for when our son's born this fall. Well, that might still make you feel old. And welcome to Texas! It sure is hot down here, but not nearly as bad as it was earlier. Can't believe how big duncan is. That makes ME feel old.

     
  • At 9/16/2006 07:50:00 PM , Blogger Royce Ogle said...

    A perfect time for a good laugh. Thanks Patrick.

    Wonder why some people are so opposed to having fun? A pastor friend of mine was accused of not being saved because he is part preacher/part clown. He can't help it.

    Does anyone suppose Jesus sat in a corner with a face as long as a church of Christ elder singing from a book on Sunday morning at the wedding party? He turned the water into wine! The best wine too!

    I can see him smiling, laughing with his friends as they celebrated the marriage of two friends.

    Thanks again Patrick for the reminder to have a bit of fun.

    Grace and Peace,
    Royce Ogle

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home