PatrickMead

Monday, October 16, 2006

A Scotsman With A Grievance

The title for this blog comes from a P.G. Wodehouse quote: "It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine." I happen to think that Wodehouse was one of the most brilliant writers of the last century and, once again, he has nailed it. I don't have pet peeves. I have full kennels of frustration.

But things have been going pretty well. I just got back from a trip to do a men's retreat in Northwestern Indiana. I left a yard half covered in snow and drove in horrible winds so I had to concentrate more than usual on my driving. Good thing I wasn't in a place where I could be distracted by scenery! I've always thought that I would like to die in Indiana. You see, the transition between life and death would hardly be noticeable. I won a contest once to spend a week in Indianapolis. Second prize was two weeks. (all right, my Indiana friends, I'm kidding!!! I love you. And your State? Beautiful! Especially the Wal-Mart in Delphi)

Good thing the political world is there to distract me. It seems the Republicans are somewhat like a bull who carries his own china shop with him. It's almost like I'm reading the longest suicide note in history. But do I really want to hand power to John Kerry? His face reminds me of a female llama who's been surprised in her bath. Some of Pelosi's speeches make me think I could drive an 18 wheeler between any of her points and never have to be concerned about scraping against a fact.

Besides, any government solution is usually worse than the problem it was meant to address. And hearings and committees? I think they are political dead-ends meant to lure ideas and facts deep into them where they can be quietly strangled.

Anybody else notice that Jesus was born AND died on a holiday? What are the odds of THAT?

I'm reading Alcorn's book on heaven. It's a good read but it makes me wonder if "church" couldn't be defined as a man who's never been to heaven preaching to a bunch of people who will never go there.

Well, nobody said living would be easy. However, every year you get a free trip around the sun. That's something, at least. I don't want to be a pessimist (my definition: a man who, when he smells flowers, looks about for a coffin) and I don't think I'm an optimist (my definition: an accordian player with a pager). Realism isn't really working for me, either. Yet, work enough realism into a statement and it becomes comedy, such as when Groucho Marx said, "I've had a wonderful evening -- but this wasn't it."

I could still be poor, and I'm not. I'm paycheck to paycheck, but at least they last that long. When we were kids our house was so small that when you entered the front door you were in the back yard. We couldn't afford toilet paper so we tied our pet hedgehog to a stick and told him to hold his breath. Instead of napkins, after dinner my parents would send us outside to play with the neighbors' woolly dog. To escape our poverty a couple of my relatives left the respectable world and went into crime. I have an uncle who has a wonderful gift of being able to find things before other people lose them.

But, my trip was good, the men were great, the snow's melted on my front lawn, my son is handsome, my daughter is stunning and talented, my wife is beautiful, and my congregation is the best. Now tell me, how in the world can I maintain a world class snit when God keeps ruining it by blessing me???

9 Comments:

  • At 10/16/2006 09:52:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Patrick, I couldn't resist sending this since you opened the door with the title:

    A young Scottish lad and lass were sitting on a low stone wall, holding hands and gazing out over the loch. For several minutes they sat silently.
    Then finally the girl looked at the boy and said, "A penny for your thoughts, Angus."
    "Well, uh, I was thinkin'...perhaps it's aboot time for a wee kiss."
    The girl blushed, then leaned over and kissed him lightly on the cheek.
    Then he blushed. The two turned once again to gaze out over the loch.
    Minutes passed and the girl spoke again. "Another penny for your thoughts, Angus." "Well, uh, I was thinkin' perhaps it's aboot time for a wee cuddle."
    The girl blushed, then leaned over and cuddled him for a few seconds.
    Then he blushed. Then the two turned once again to gaze out over the loch.
    After a while, she again said, "Another penny for your thoughts, Angus."
    "Well, uh, I was thinkin' perhaps it's aboot time you let me put my hand
    on your leg."
    The girl blushed, then took his hand and put it on her knee. Then he blushed. The the two turned once again to gaze out over the lock before the girl spoke again.
    "Another penny for your thoughts, Angus."
    The young man glanced down with a furled brow. "Well, noo," he said, "my thoughts are a wee bit more serious this time."
    "Really?" said the lass in a whisper, filled with anticipation.
    "Aye," said the lad, nodding.
    The girl looked away in shyness, began to blush, and bit her lip in anticipation of the ultimate request.
    Then he said, "Dae ye nae think it's aboot time ye paid me the first
    three pennies?"

    Have a great day, lad.

     
  • At 10/16/2006 01:18:00 PM , Blogger David U said...

    He keeps blessing me also!

    DU

     
  • At 10/16/2006 04:13:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Patrick, your post reminds me of my own humble beginnings in the hills of North Carolina. We would carefully pull the edges off the Balogny and then let them dry in the kitchen window sill before we used them for shoe strings.

    But things got better. For a wedding present I bought my wife some shoes. I tied her to the front porch, put them on her, and she bucked and jumped for about 10 minutes before she got accustomed to them.

    I remember like it was yesterday when I suggested that we get married. Her reply was "Gosh, I'd love to if we could find anybody who'd have us!"

    My dad said of one of my girl friends "she is so cross eyed when she crys the tears run down her back". She wasn't that bad but she did not need a rear view mirror on her truck.

    Thanks for the light spot Patrick,
    Royce

     
  • At 10/16/2006 08:43:00 PM , Blogger Keith said...

    Your Indiana jabs remind me of a T-shirt that was going around describing a town (not to mention) near Searcy which read,"I spent a week in ________ this afternoon."

     
  • At 10/16/2006 10:13:00 PM , Blogger JD said...

    Great humor...and some truth mixed in there too! Glad you had a good weekend. We need to arrange something like that down here.

     
  • At 10/17/2006 10:17:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    For those of us pessi-opti-realists, a.k.a. the "what am I's," I would suggest reading a great little book (only 120 pages with large print) entitled "I Hate Fun," by Mifflin Lowe. As a taste of the fruits there in, I give you some of Lowe's thoughts about traveling in the states.

    "Miami-This city used to remind people of Israel because it was warm, sunny and had a large Jewish population. Now it reminds people of Israel because of the extraordinary likelihood that you'll get shot."

    "The Painted Desert-Unfortunately it's all painted the same color red."

    I can vouch for the later.

     
  • At 10/17/2006 11:28:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I totally agree with your comments. Just read an article last week about a man who went into a bank and handed the teller a note demanding cash. She gave him four $20 bills. He handed the $$ to a security guard and waited with him for the police to come and arrest him. He told the his lawyer, the prosecutor and the judge that he is 63 years old, unable to find a job (age descrimination DOES exist), lost his home and doesn't have enough money to live. Isn't eligible for SSI or Medicare for another 3 years and would rather spend them somewhere where he'd be assured of a bed, three squares and a roof over his head, than continuing to struggle on the "outside". Under normal circumstances the judge would have sentenced the man to probation due to the complete lack of any kind of criminal record. Instead he gave the man what he wanted. He sentenced him to three years in prison. Sad state of affairs doesn't even begin to sum it up, does it?

     
  • At 10/18/2006 11:29:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh man... That post was hilarious!

     
  • At 10/19/2006 06:34:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Patrick,

    Jsut so you know, I get a kick out of reading your posts first thing in the morning. It helps set the mood for the rest of the day.

    I will pray for hedgehogs now.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home