PatrickMead

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Guitar Hunting

[for an update on JoAn Dillinger, go to tentpegs.blogspot.com]

I went to a few other guitar shops today before and after visiting the Dillingers in the hospital. There were some great guitars to be found but they seemed to be overpriced compared to Musiciansfriend.com, a website I have used several times before. Of course, Musician's Friend doesn't carry every brand and that means I can't compare prices on Larrivees there, but they have Gibsons, Guilds, Alvarez, Martins and Breedloves among others.

I went to Sam Ash, a music chain we don't have in Detroit. Most of their guitars were store brands with exotic sounding names like Carlo Robelli, Carly, Brownsville, or Benedictine. It was hard to find any guitars -- even expensive ones -- that gave the warm, lower tones I miss from my classic guitars; the ones that disappeared from my office. Martin makes a koa guitar that is priced around $500 and sounds great, but it is really made from high pressure laminate, not solid koa. I'm not sure how that would hold up over the years. Ovation has several good models. I own one already and am tempted... but the only way to get a warm tone out of one is to plug it into an amp and I prefer playing unplugged when possible. Breedloves are good and might be where I need to look... but they run $700 or so and it is hard to be that selfish with my money.

One of the commentors on the last blog wanted to learn how to play "Puff the Magic Dragon" for their child. The chords are simple ones. They repeat as below. When you see a "*" it means to keep your pinky finger on the first string (high E), third fret. This is especially effective if you play fingerstyle.


G, Bm, C*, G, Em*, A7*, D7, G

That's it. As they say in Mexico, muchas easy.

Tomorrow I speak at a local denominational high school and then meet with a couple of Noblesville elders to discuss how we do small groups at Rochester. After another lesson on grace in the evening, I will be done at Noblesville. On Thursday, I am headed home and, since I have to drive through Lansing anyway, I will stop for an hour or so at Elderly Instruments, the best and largest purveyor of quality acoustic instruments in the midwest. (www.elderly.com) I'll give you a full report....

7 Comments:

  • At 12/06/2006 04:48:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    There is nothing like a acoustic Alvarez. Beautiful sounds!

    Maybe some Alvarez bagpipes?

     
  • At 12/06/2006 05:16:00 AM , Blogger Acappella said...

    Patrick,

    I have been playing guitar since I was eight years old, which was __ years ago. I enjoy playing my Martin, but have really been impressed with the Taylors that so many Nashville musicians use these days.

    The Noblesville church is an awesome group of people. We had a wonderful Praise & Harmony worship seminar there this year. Give my love to the family there.

     
  • At 12/06/2006 07:45:00 AM , Blogger dutro said...

    I agree with Keith and Greg (from his blog profile comments): Taylors definitely deserve a look and a place on your list. I have a Martin D-28 I bought new in '75, and a Mossman Tennessee Flat Top from '76, but neither is any better than the Taylors I have played. I just can't justify buying another guitar, but if I could, it would be a Taylor of some sort, I'm sure.

     
  • At 12/06/2006 09:52:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So Patrick, are you afraid to risk one off of Ebay? Funny, I was looking at an alverez on there yesterday (alverez professional a 5224) that went for only 188.00. But I have to agree, from the ones I have heard, Taylors are great. Happy hunting!

     
  • At 12/06/2006 11:13:00 AM , Blogger cwinwc said...

    Patrick, are you sure you're not related to Greg?

    One of the best moves our church made was going to Life Groups. The amount of "Body Ministry" that has taken place as a result has been a blessing. We're just now starting to make the transition to looking outward to our neighbors and friends as an on ramp to the church.

    Good luck in your talks with the church.

     
  • At 12/06/2006 02:13:00 PM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

    I had a great time in a couple of shops this week. The Alvarez guitars sounded as good as any Taylors I played... except for the Taylor T5, a super thin, super beautiful electric acoustic that sounded just fine unplugged (to my amazement. The thing can't be three inches thick). The action was the quickest of of any guitar I've ever played. And the price? Only $2850! Since I'm not allowed to curse let me merely type $%%&#^@!!!! Oh well....

     
  • At 12/07/2006 08:17:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am currently learning guitar -- been taking lessons for a few months now. And I LOVE it! I've wanted to learn to play since I was a teen. I decided that 42 was a good age to start.

    My wonderful wife encouraged me, and is paying for my lessons.

    I currently have a Fender acoustic (their bargain model, but it is adequate). Once I learn to play well, I would like to get an electric guitar, as well as a nicer acoustic.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home