PatrickMead

Monday, December 04, 2006

Run, Run, Rudolph!

It's a busy week in Meadville. I am on the road in Noblesville, Indiana (think -- northern Indianapolis suburb). I am giving a four day seminar on grace at a church I love. This is my 4th time here. I've only been one other place four times since we returned from Scotland nearly 20 years ago so that should reveal the depth of my affection for this congregation. They are a traditional church who are open to hearing other viewpoints... and they get that from me. I have been (theologically) kicking over chairs since I got here. Some hear and are glad. Some hear and are not. Some don't hear me at all but thank me for the sermon anyway.

Keep this in prayer: the minister's wife, JoAn Dillinger, is going in for surgery for pancreatic cancer on Tuesday morning, 5:30. The surgery is as major as it gets and is expected to last 8-10 hours. She is a sweet Christian lady and an integral part of this congregation's life. Pray for her husband, too -- Jim. They've told me I don't need to be there... but I'll show up anyway.

I wrote about Tim and Nancy Milligan on my other blog not too long ago. Nancy was taken back into the hospital yesterday (Sunday) and they discovered a new brain tumor. She is disappointed, but still has her faith. Radiation treatment starts soon.

I've been going from music shop to music shop looking for replacements for the two guitars stolen from my office. I'm not made of money so I won't be able to buy what I want, but it is a lot of fun sitting around and playing first this then that high ticket guitar. Price doesn't always indicate how good a guitar sounds. I played a no-name guitar today that was cobbled together in some sweat shop in China and it sounded better than the Fenders that cost four times as much. I'd love to replace my Yamaha and Alvarez but they don't make those models anymore. I will continue to haunt guitar shops in every town until I find the right one. It isn't a grueling task!

Between speaking, visiting the hospital, and shopping for guitars I've been finishing my Christmas gift list purchases for my family. I never have more fun than when I can spend money on them. Most of my life money has been tight and even now it isn't just laying around the house in piles. (we often run out of money before we run out of month) Whenever I get the cash and chance to spend it on fripperies, I do!!!

We went to Bronner's last week. Bronner's is the world's largest Christmas store. It is an hour north of us in Frankenmuth, Michigan. My family almost had to sedate me. I ran from display to display and would have bought out the store if Kami and American Express hadn't stopped me. Run, run, Rudolph? That punk deer's got nothing on me.

Ho, ho, ho.

4 Comments:

  • At 12/05/2006 06:15:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Patrick,

    What a joy to work with a congregation on four different occasions. TO be able to discuss matters in an open and willing way is what we need in our lives.

    Even to speak to those who disagree, but will still listen is a privilege. We need more open ears and open hearts!

    God bles.

     
  • At 12/05/2006 09:08:00 AM , Blogger Emily said...

    Mine is a Gibson Epiphone; in my opinion, it has one of the richest sounds of any guitar I've ever played. They're relatively inexpensive, too!

    P.S. Fripperies?? What a great word!!

     
  • At 12/05/2006 09:09:00 AM , Blogger cwinwc said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12/05/2006 09:10:00 AM , Blogger cwinwc said...

    Sounds like an interesting time. Kudos to any church that will allow open discussion while practicing collegiality among it’s members. We'll certainly keep your friends in our prayers, especially JoAnn. When a minister’s wife goes down if just for a short time it is like losing a paid staff member.

    Sorry about the loss of your guitars. I know Greg wishes he could be there to help you in your replacement quest. Greg has given his love of playing guitar to my son. We call it “the sickness” affectionately.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home