PatrickMead

Friday, December 01, 2006

Who's In Charge Here???

We've been experiencing a long spell of warm weather and, I must say, it has been welcome. Michigan isn't known for good weather so these last two weeks where the temps hovered between the mid 50's and upper 60's were wonderful. We've been watching winter approach from the west for the last two weeks. Seattle got blasted first and then the rest of Washington State. For several days we watched that state get pounded by several feet of snow as we walked around our block wearing short sleeved shirts (yes, Florida, we wear short sleeves in the 50's... and some of my shirts look like they date back that far).

The news puppies and weather weinies have been running around like Chicken Little on his third cup of expresso for the last several days calling out dire warnings about the end of the good weather and the approach of Armeggedon. Or, as we call it up here, "winter". Michigan met the warnings with a collective shrug. We know it's coming. We've seen it before. We'll see it again.

This morning I awoke... and found the planet was still here. Yes, it was coated with a layer of ice, but we didn't lose power, our neighbors hadn't started eating their young, and CEO's weren't on the corner selling used pencils. The only real damage we had was our flagpole. The pole had surrendered to the ice. It was broken in half and laying on the ground. My first job of the day was to get out there and rescue the flags. Rain and snow are predicted for most of the next week and we'll survive it no matter how scared the weather wussies on TV get.

I drive to Indianapolis tomorrow to begin a four day series of lessons on grace for the Green Valley congregation in Noblesville. They are a remarkable group and I love them dearly. Keep them in prayer for they are in some distress. Their wonderful minister, Jim Dillinger, and his wife, JoAn, are facing her pancreatic cancer with faith and fortitude, but it is a hard time for all. Her surgery is Tuesday and expected to take 9 hours. They would love to save her life but they would settle for prolonging it.

I'm all dressed up, ready for a funeral in an hour or so. My son's girlfriend's grandfather passed away after a long illness. I'm not doing the funeral as he was a Catholic. I'll stand, kneel, and sit with the rest of the congregants at St. Andrews Catholic Church and show my respect for the family (and a good family they are, too) and then go back out into the dark and cold day.

It would be easy to be depressed on these days when winter howls in, the sound of icy rain on the windows keeping us awake at night, and friends are facing funerals and surgery... but I'm not doing too bad with it. I find it helpful to have these days. They remind me that I am a creature, not the Creator. I am not in charge here.

I want to save the world, but running it and saving it aren't really my responsibility. My job is to reach out with the message and love of Christ and it is His job to take it from there. I am not in charge of weather or traffic or taxes... I am only in charge of my decisions, my actions. Even then, God is gracious. He knows that we are dust. Even concerning something as important as living in peace with everyone He tells us "IF it is possible, AND as much as it lies in you..." indicating that He understands that sometimes it isn't possible and sometimes it isn't possible for ME when it might be for you. He knows our limitations and loves us anyway.

There is great comfort in trusting God. I'm glad I am just a creature and not the Creator. I'm glad I am just a servant and not a master. While I don't understand what God is doing a lot of time -- including why He allows weather wackos to live -- I trust Him. He knows what's He's doing. I just need to make sure we're stocked up on hot chocolate.

9 Comments:

  • At 12/01/2006 08:48:00 AM , Blogger dutro said...

    interesting comments, stoogelover. I would hope that my attitude would be the same as you mention, but haven't faced that, yet. However, watching a good friend and one of the best bluegrass fiddlers I ever knew go through the deterioration and frustrations of ALS (Lou Gehrig's) for 15 months before he left us, I understand two things better: life is not always measured in longevity, and dying is not the worst thing. Of course, as a Christian, I understand the second to be true, anyway, but sometimes it is "brought home" a little better by an experience such as this.

    I was honored to play his mandolin at his graveside service that he had planned, and asked me to stand in with his (really good!) bluegrass band, at which we sang him home with songs of heaven. It was a very moving experience, and I was truly glad he had been able to move on, a wish he had expressed to his family on more than one occasion.

    Back to this post--it is the mixture of experiences like this, and the weather, and the cancer and the good times, that makes this life what it is, and we should be thankful for all of it. Without the bad weather, we wouldn't be so thankful for the good.

     
  • At 12/01/2006 09:42:00 AM , Blogger Donna G said...

    There are years when the weather would throw me into a "funk" but I think this year I am looking forward to cold and even dreary days. I know that it takes the rest of winter to bring about the vibrance of spring....it almost sounds like I am growing up!! Perish the thought!

     
  • At 12/01/2006 09:54:00 AM , Blogger reJoyce said...

    I always enjoy the first real snow day. After a few months I get tired of shoveling, but still love to watch it fall.

    stoogelover said:
    I can only say what I think my attitude would be in that context, but I'm not sure I would put my hope in God healing me. I think I would put my hope in me glorifying him through the ordeal.

    Me, too.

     
  • At 12/01/2006 10:14:00 AM , Blogger cwinwc said...

    When the temperature drops below 50 we shut the state down and declare a "Weather Emergency" here in the "Sunshine State." Hang in there as you battle this latest storm.

    I have to go, I need to turn on the A/C.

    BTW - I've enjoyed reading your blog for the last few days. Greg (aka "Stoogelover) led me here.

     
  • At 12/01/2006 11:10:00 AM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

    I would recommend everyone go to cwinwc's post. It is on the same subject as many of your comments.

    Welcome, cwinwc! Sorry about you having to use the A/C. Some of us live a righteous life so that we can, uh, avoid the hot place...

     
  • At 12/01/2006 12:06:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Very timely for us here in North Texas, Patrick. This week we prepared for and recieved what our weather weenies called "The Arctic BLAST!" It was really a winter fizzle. Of course, we get ice instead of snow, none of us know how to drive in winter, and we don't have snow tires. But we do have lots of pickups to spin out in.

     
  • At 12/01/2006 12:19:00 PM , Blogger cwinwc said...

    Patrick, hi again and thanks for the (as the kids would say) “props” to my blog. When Greg told me about your blog I told him anybody near or associated with Rochester College has my respect.

    We had the Chorus from RC at our church this past year. Several of the guys stayed at our house after their performance. They represented themselves, Jesus, and the College well.

    Also, I know RC had Pat Pugh as a speaker for a Youth Rally (of some type) this past summer. Our church and our youth group (my son is 16) have a history with Pat that goes back to the Mid-Ohio Valley Work Camp a couple of years ago. The Holy Spirit used Pat in a mighty way that I’ve never seen before. In about 3 days we (all the work crews at the Work Camp) not only painted 34 homes but there were about 33 young people baptized into Christ. It was a remarkable experience.

    Long story short, I tried to get Pat at our week of Bible Camp this past summer only to be shot down by some folks who threaten to blackmail the camp if Pat were allowed to spend the week with us. The sad thing was the fact that these “black-mailers” had no association with our week of camp, either staff or camper wise. So, it did my heart well to know that somebody was using this brother.

    O.K, enough already. Thanks for the welcome and I’m going to link you on my blog. When you get enough of that cold (anything under 50) weather come visit us in sunny east central Florida.

     
  • At 12/02/2006 10:25:00 AM , Blogger David U said...

    PM, safe travels brother! Your blog is a blessing to me, and I am sure many others. Please don't ever stop bringing us your thoughts, challenges, and encouragement.

    Love you bro!
    DU

     
  • At 12/02/2006 10:20:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    GREAT post! Love it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home