PatrickMead

Friday, October 27, 2006

Two Weeks of Whiplash

The title of this post doesn't come from physical whiplash (although it came close -- read my tentpegs blog for today to see what I mean) but from the metaphysical whiplash I get everytime I get into a marathon travel binge.

On Saturday I fly to Wichita. I'll get to speak to the church that morning as they raise their mission money for the year. That afternoon I am to speak with the elders about how Rochester Church is reaching the unreached and how we have navigated the changes in our culture and congregation. That evening I speak for all the Wichita Churches of Christ as they have their annual shared worship time. I fly back on Monday. On Thursday I speak at Rochester College on a panel with four clergypersons from other faiths. We're to do a short chapel service in the morning and then a two hour question and answer period that evening as we discuss the way women are treated in our various religious tribes. The following Sunday I preach the three morning services at Rochester and then drive to Beamsville, Ontario to speak at the Great Lakes Lectureships. I keynote that on Sunday night ("In the Name of Jesus -- and no other name") and give a class the next morning on the importance of church planting. Then... I drive back into the US, spend one day at home, and drive on to Indianapolis where I will speak to a Christian Church that Wednesday evening on the importance of knowing and living the Word of God. The next Saturday I fly out to Vero Beach, Florida to speak for three days at a congregation that helps us support the Manry family in Uganda.

So, to wrap up:
Wichita, Kansas
Rochester, Michigan
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
Rochester, Michigan
Indianapolis, Indiana
Rochester, Michigan
Vero Beach, Florida
Shady Rest Semi-Retirement Community for the Religiously overactive and Slightly Pooped Out, Rochester, Michigan

My travel schedule for next year is severly curtailed by comparison as we keep most dates open so that if Duncan gets leave or has an important Marine Corps ceremony we can be with him. But for now.... zoom!

As I climb on the plane or point my car in various directions I often wonder, "How did this happen? How did an infamous loner who hates traveling and crowds get into this? How did Bill and Kitty's kid end up here? How much longer can this go on before somebody points at me and shouts out 'He's not qualified!' Did that last sign really say no rest area for the next 67 miles? I just drank a 7-11 Bladder Buster sized Diet Coke!"

Here's the deal: pray for me and I'll pray for you. I'll try to write some in between journeys, promise.

7 Comments:

  • At 10/27/2006 07:51:00 AM , Blogger David U said...

    Patrick, you got to this point because you died to yourself and you are allowing the Father to use you as He sees fit.

    But, please get your rest. The Sabbath principle is still alive and well! :) We want you around for the next 50 years or so!

    God bless you brother, as you bless SO MANY others!

    DU

     
  • At 10/27/2006 08:42:00 AM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

    50 more years? Don't wish that on me! Let me serve awhile longer and then I'd gladly take the freight express train home!

     
  • At 10/27/2006 10:15:00 AM , Blogger Donna G said...

    Gotta love a good ole' Bladder Buster Diet Coke!!

    I think all of us have trouble reconciling our inside selves to this grown up person who is living in our bodies...

    Or at least I do....and it would appear they have taken over my body as well!

     
  • At 10/27/2006 12:33:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    PM, My prayer for you just went up. Since you made the offer, you now "owe" me one. Considering your up-close and personal relationship with the Father that seems like a very unfair trade. But I'll take it.

     
  • At 10/30/2006 06:10:00 AM , Blogger KentF said...

    prayers Patrick - you are influencing alot of lives out there with a real servant's heart.

     
  • At 10/30/2006 02:52:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow... That's a lot of travel. My husband is traveling a lot this month. If we can survive November, tho, December will hopefully be relaxing.

     
  • At 11/02/2006 05:03:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Bro'Pat, What do you do in your spare time? You remind me of a gal who worked for me in Texas who quipped "I am so far behind I think I'm first".

    Former congressman J.C. Watts's grandpa said, "A dog will not chase a parked car". On a serious note, It is great to see a busy preacher. You are in demand for a reason. As David said, get some rest too.

    Grace and Peace,
    Royce Ogle

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home