PatrickMead

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Strings and Things

Elderly Instruments (www.elderly.com) was a blast, as always. It is only an hour and a half away from my house but I limit my travel there since I tend to giggle like a schoolgirl when I go. They only had a few Alvarez guitars in stock. It seems that everyone is trying to order them but they just can't ship enough of them. The cheaper ones are available, but the Yairi and Artist Series are backordered. I ordered one anyway. It may or may not be here by Christmas. I have a 28year old Alvarez Yairi 12 string and love it dearly so I am fairly confident this new guitar will do well. I would have liked to have sat around with it in the shop for awhile -- ordering without playing is risky -- but there is a 30 day no cost return policy so I think I'm safe. The model I ordered is the AD60CK Dao Dreadnought.
It should be deep enough to sound good. If it isn't... back it goes. The only guitars I played that sounded as good as my old Alvarez and Yamaha (fair is fair -- they had nearly 30 years to mellow) were a $1000 Yamaha -- the Celtic series, and a Taylor that was tagged at $3150 after a hefty discount. They had the Taylor T5 -- and incredible guitar that plays fairly well unplugged and outstanding when plugged into an acoustic amp. The plain black went for $1515 and the incredible Koa T5 went for just over $2850. That puts them out of my reach, but I am going to dream about those guitars for a good long time. Here's a photo...
And it doesn't do it justice. Excuse me... I have to go wipe up some drool.... Okay, I'm back. Since I don't play the lottery and since we have quite a few mission commitments, the T5s will have to sit on the shelf for now. The Alvarez is discounted to $450 but the reviews I've read from owners have it playing as well as guitars two and threes times as expensive. We'll see....

I'll celebrate my wife's birthday with her on Sunday. She flies off to Texas on Tuesday to be with her family at her cousin's wedding. That means I'll be here without her on my 50th birthday (the 16th, since you asked. Only nine more shopping days!). I may drive down to see my parents for a few hours. That would get me out of the State and away from possible surprise parties or other birthday ambushes. The kids (aged 23 and almost 18) ask me what I want for my birthday. Of course, I could send them the photo of the T5 but that wouldn't be fair. Fact is, if I want something I find a way to get it. Birthdays were fun back when I had no money and gifts supplied stuff I could never get on my own. Now the whole fun in birthdays and Christmas is in giving stuff away and buying extravagant presents for other people. I can remember being frustrated when I'd ask my parents what they wanted and they said nothing. They just wanted me to be there with them. I couldn't believe it then. I do now.

Home at last. A couple of inches of snow lays on our lawn and roof. Our blow up Santa has fallen over and looks like he might be drunk. My parrot sat on my shoulder and made comments as I wrapped the gifts I brought home from Indiana. My wife and I went to Joe's Crab Shack for a quick dinner and now we're back, surrounded by four Christmas trees. My son is doing his homework having just returned from a kenpo karate workout.

It's good to be home.

7 Comments:

  • At 12/08/2006 05:29:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You're making me drool too, Patrick. That Koa Taylor is almost too beautiful to pick up and play!

    Since you don't care about getting birthday presents (I'm with you), have a Hobbit birthday. Give presents to everyone else in your life! I did that for my wife (before she was my wife), and she decided she liked me!

     
  • At 12/08/2006 06:09:00 AM , Blogger Matt said...

    Those are some beautiful guitars. I decided that I wanted to start learning to play guitar two Aprils ago. I had no idea I would love it so much! I can't believe I waited until I was 36 to start this. I have a Takamine E355 acoustic electric and I got a Squire Fender Strat for Christmas last year from my awesome wife. I'm terrible, but I am having too much fun to care. So this year I'm hoping santa-wifey brings me a sweet amp so that I can shred. Rock on! There's a guy at church who makes custom guitars, basically Taylor clones, so I'm thinking that I may get him to build me one in 30 years or so. It'll take me that long to save the money. Hmm... He's not that young. That could be a problem.

     
  • At 12/08/2006 11:12:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice.

    This morning I was working on Seger's "Like a Rock" and I was thinking how much better it would sound on that Alvarez (and played by someone who actually knows what they're doing).

     
  • At 12/08/2006 12:40:00 PM , Blogger cwinwc said...

    Happy “early” 50th. I’m 2 years behind you for that particular milestone. So you good folks in Michigan have snow on the roof and “Hai Karate” in the air. Down here in the “Sunshine State” we’re suppose to get down to the bone chilling 40’s tomorrow and my son has baseball practice as well. It’s a crazy country we live in.

    May all your “Santas” stay inflated as well as stay warm.

     
  • At 12/08/2006 10:14:00 PM , Blogger Stoogelover said...

    Went to visit my son / daughter-in-law today and spent a little time in a new Guitar Center. Played serveral Taylors, Gibsons, Takamines (or is that Takaminies?), Martins and I've yet to find a guitar in the same price range that comes close to the Alvarez Yairi.

    That said, if I ever have to replace mine, I've been looking at that Alvarez Koa accoustic / electric. Love the electric system they use.

    As for the Taylor T-5 ... in the "About" section on my blog, I have that listed as the next guitar I'd buy which I won't be buying for it would surely lead to a quick divorce!

    Can we start a blog site just about guitars???

     
  • At 12/09/2006 06:01:00 AM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

    Good idea! We could post photos of our guitars. I have more than I need but less than I want...

     
  • At 12/10/2006 02:02:00 PM , Blogger Nancy French said...

    You're drunk Santa seems like he needed to be in Tim Allen's latest movie..

    :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home