PatrickMead

Monday, December 18, 2006

Bread on the Water

One of the hardest decisions a Christian will ever make is "who do we help? Who is genuinely in need?" Deacons placed in charge of benevolence have a burnout rate approaching that of Education Deacon (who are burnout champions again for the hundred year -- since Sunday schools started). We get used to being spun hard luck stories and trying to find a clue in the complex tale -- is this legit or are they scamming us?

I remember one church I served that slaved over Christmas baskets. They went over the top on presents, clothes, and food for needy families. After getting a list of names, they got each willing member to deliver the goods to a couple of homes. I took Duncan, then aged 10, with me to a single wide trailer home nestled deep in a ravine. A few feet from the closed front door we could smell cigarette smoke and unwashed clothes. I was born in poverty and raised poor until my father could drag us into the lower middle class so I understand how people can be trapped in bad situations. I reminded myself to deliver these gifts from God's people in such a way as to honor our Lord and show His love.

It didn't work out that way. A man's voice yelled at me to open the door. I did. Smoke filled the trailer as did piles of clothes and unwashed dishes. The man and woman (husband and wife?) were sloppy and barely looked away from the telly as we told them why we were there. The man said, "I guess you can bring it in" and never moved as we carted in several huge boxes representing hundreds of dollars worth of toys, food, clothes, and gift cards. To make a long story short, no one helped us bring them in and no one thanked us for bringing them. We tried to visit with them but they wanted to watch the TV and, besides, they were busy yelling and cursing at their kids.

The next year, Duncan and I drew their name again. I said "no." There is a fine line between throwing bread on the water, wanting to do good in Jesus' Name, and, on the other hand, being a poor steward and encouraging the lazy or sinful. (this story is longer so don't write saying "maybe he had a back problem and maybe..." We checked them out thoroughly after my visit)

My parents are broken hearted. They have welcomed children into their home all of my life. Dad would adopt anyone who wanted a family. Sometimes it worked out well. Just as often, it didn't. Today, they learned that a young girl they have given their lives and money to for years has been lying to them, using them, and laughing at them behind their back. They think they have failed. Once again, I say "no." Mom and Dad are generous, kind, people. While their religion is strict and rigid, their hearts are warm and giving. They did no wrong in giving their money away (and they don't have much. Missionaries don't retire well) or in spending most of the last several years in helping this girl. It was bread on the water and, as Jesus promised, it will come back to them.

Sometimes bread comes back right in front of our eyes. After the death of Professor Jack, I wrote that we would take goods and food back down to Cass Park in his memory. Yesterday was that day. Read my daughter's blog at karagraves.blogspot.com (linked on this page) for the details. It was a glorious time of love and giving. We help people every time we go there but the bread is already coming back in the form of changed lives in our own congregation. Our people come back from Cass Park with changed attitudes, more open hearts, and a giving spirit. (full disclosure -- this ministry is run by Josh and Kara. I didn't go with them yesterday)

Maybe giving away money and goods won't change the recipient very often, but it certainly changes the giver. So, with few exceptions including the one I noted above, my family will continue to give. Will people take advantage of us? Yes. Will we be hurt financially or emotionally? Probably. Then why do we continue? Because giving is an act of grace that blesses the giver more than the receiver. We don't give so that we will feel better. We give because that's what our family does -- our earthly family and our Christian one.

It is bread on the water. It is a cup of cool water given in His Name. That means that every gift is eternal. God will remember it.

11 Comments:

  • At 12/18/2006 10:22:00 AM , Blogger David U said...

    PM, I am sure you are familiar with the song that has the phrase
    "I was made for this". We all were.....and it's a shame some never find out that we were made to get the best gift there is, by giving. We receive the greatest gifts by giving! That is why, even though I loved it as a child, Christmas is SO much better to me now as an adult than it was back then. I had to learn to give.

    Some people give because that is who they are.....like your folks. Others seem to give out of responsibility. Others don't give at all. When I grow up, I sure hope I give because of who I am....and WHOSE I am!

    GREAT POST, bro!
    DU

     
  • At 12/18/2006 11:05:00 AM , Blogger cwinwc said...

    Wow, what a powerful post. Those that deal with benevolence (as I do quite often) can sometimes become jaded like the veteran police officer who deals with those who lie as a way of life, day in and day out. Even those in the judicial system become that way. My Dad was a “Civil Processor” (handed out Summons to Court) but one of things he did was work with families who were trying to get a loved one who was incarcerated moved to a closer prison to their home. In all of his dealings he said one of the worst things that could be done in court was to have someone on trial or up for probation have a preacher stand up for them to vouch that this person had found religion. Apparently Judges hear that so often in their courtroom that they dismiss it and even log it in as a “negative.”

    Boy, did I digress, any way; you’re dead on about our giving. It’s not so much about the recipient as it is about the giver. I think Jesus taught a lesson to a rich man along those lines.

     
  • At 12/18/2006 11:20:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Powerful post, but greater still a powerful meaning. Giving is hard, but rewarding. I wonder how much we sacrifice when we give our old clothes to people instead or purchasing new clothes for them. Are old clothes a sacrifice?

    Patrick, i met your dad in West Virginia a couple years ago while working there. Give him my best. (He may not remember me, but tell him I was the preacher for Scott Depot, WV and he might.)

    God bless you and the work of the congregation.

     
  • At 12/18/2006 02:09:00 PM , Blogger Donna G said...

    It is easy to get "burned out" or overly suspicious. Thank you for admitting that you do, because we all do...and yet we know that to have the Spirit of Jesus, we keep giving.

     
  • At 12/18/2006 02:28:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My father died of cancer when I was 2 years old. Your father baptized my father before he died. My sister was 9 my brother was 18 and my mom was 8 months pregnat. My mom was very concerned that something would happen to her, and we would be left alone. Your parents comforted her and told her that all of her children would have a home at the Mead's if anything ever happened to her. They were a blessing to us in 1970 and they continue to be a blessing to many others who truely need them.

     
  • At 12/18/2006 07:19:00 PM , Blogger Rick said...

    Patrick,

    Linked to you today... great post...

     
  • At 12/18/2006 07:20:00 PM , Blogger Stoogelover said...

    Interesting ... I had a conversation with my sociologist daughter this afternoon. She has such a different view on things. I, too, struggle with these decisions and usually try to err on the side of helping.

    Yesterday we had a guy visit our church ... had him over to the house for lunch ... the more he talked, the more convinced I was that he was just another guy taking us for a ride. I tire of it, but that's the essence of being missional, isn't it? Serving, chances we're being ripped off, and all.

     
  • At 12/19/2006 06:31:00 AM , Blogger JD said...

    Wow..that comment by anonymous really touched my heart...and I'm sure it did yours too, Patrick. What a marvelous example of grace your parents are ... thanks for sharing this. After Katrina we have been lied to, ripped off, taken advantage of, stolen from in almost every way. Still, I cannot let the misforturne of those all around me go ... it has become a part of me.

     
  • At 12/19/2006 06:38:00 AM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

    Thanks to all, especially Rick from brutallyhonest.org, one of my favorite sites, and anonymous. There are many stories of my parents' generosity out there. When you see how simply they live and hear how much they have given to so many, it makes dreams of retiring in a beachside mansion seem petty and second rate.

     
  • At 12/20/2006 06:17:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great post. When Mark politely reminded me that I won't be able to change all the alcoholics out there I responded that I know that, but maybe I will get lucky and help one or two out along the way and that's all that matters.
    When the AA people set out to help my ex husband they may think that they failed, but then they wouldn't understand just how much they influenced me.
    I ran into one of them the other day and he was almost in tears seeing me and my son (who he hadn't seen since the day he was born). He was so happy to see my son almost 5 years later and how great he was. He probably had the biggest influence on the way we are today and I don't think he fully understands that still.
    My ex may still be a mess, but we were saved and he was very much responsible for that-whether he knows it or not.
    So keep trying, you never know who will be listening.

     
  • At 12/26/2006 08:44:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    PM, The first memory I have of people claiming to be Christians was not a church service or a bible study, but rather people carrying bag after bag of food and clothes into my folks three room home (sounds better than shack) in Kingston, Tn. My dad was a hard worker and proud and was rather humiliated about being "needy". But with eight kids and ten mouths to feed it was accepted because his jobs as a laborer with the Highway Department and part time farmer (sounds better than sharecropper) never paid much. We were always appreciative though, and maybe that's the difference. I write this to let you know that there is payback for the sacrifices of folks like you. Because of this testimony and generosity I became a Jesus follower. I have since earned three degrees. I have enjoyed a successful career as a scientist. Two of three sons have graduated from Christian Universities (a third is a Junior at Lipscomb). One of the three is in the Air Force and in medical school training to become the doctor his grandfather probably should have been. On top of that, I love to give and have been favored enough that I can. Thank you for giving when I needed it. Now it's my turn. And at this wonderful time of the year let's be thankful for the greatest gift - a Savior. Merry Christmas to all. Lk 6:38

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home